Mite infestation in coop?

Pics

colette peters

Songster
Aug 25, 2017
Fairfax, California
i went to clean out my coop yesterday around 5p, here in California, weather is in the mid 70° drops to low 60° at night, and I noticed all these little pin hole needle sized bugs! They were crawling all over my feet. They are brown in color and so tiny.
I think my coop must be infested! And I have to brooding hens. One started two days ago (silkie) and she’s always brooding, the other is going on 3 weeks (silver laced Wyandot). She’s 1.5 and this is her first time. Wondering if she’s infested.
Update: just check my brooding hen and yes she had the mites on her but I can’t find them on her neck skin but when I hold her they are coming into my hand. And when I take her out she’s cleaning like crazy. I piped the bug and full of blood. Almost like a flea but smaller.
I’m having a hard time seeing them. Is there a way to bathe her?
And Is DE ok to rub all over her?
I’m going to try and find locally today martins horse and stable spray to clean out coop.
Does it make sense to literally hose down water all into the coop? Will that kill the bugs?
Thanks for any info :frow
@Texas Kiki

Attachments

• A943A782-B1CD-42F2-A35E-EB0D861DE9EA.jpeg
    A943A782-B1CD-42F2-A35E-EB0D861DE9EA.jpeg
    373.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
DE won't do a thing. Go get some permethrin asap.
A mite infestation can kill. Treat all birds AND the entire coop, including the cracks weekly for three straight weeks.

DE won't do a thing. Go get some permethrin asap.
A mite infestation can kill. Treat all birds AND the entire coop, including the cracks weekly for three straight weeks.
Do I get one of the two or all? I can order on amazon on prime
I’ll have to call my feed store ASAP when they open to see if they have any of those?

Do I get one of the two or all? I can order on amazon on prime
I’ll have to call my feed store ASAP when they open to see if they have any of those?
The very first one pictured above does not need to be mixed with water before you spray, I find that is the easiest one to use.

If you can't find that one I would order a bottle of Martin's 10% permethrin concentrate... Now this one does need to be mixed with water before you use it.

Permethrin 10% seems to be what I need ASAP! How do I apply it?
@Texas Kiki
You mix a small amount of the concentrated permethrin in a spray bottle with water and spray the chickens and the coop.

A bottle like this works:
JPEG_20190701_091826_7212175147482864476.jpg

Permethrin 10% seems to be what I need ASAP! How do I apply it?
@Texas Kiki
mix to specifications and spray. For a big job like a coop, I would get a sprayer (like you would use for fruit trees). They cost about $10-15, but they're worth it. You can also use a little spray bottle, but it's less convenient.

hdx-sprayers-1502hdx-64_1000.jpg

Yikes ok!! Thanks for your quick response :wee
I just went to the coop and last night I got rid of all bedding and threw DE all on the floor of coop and came to see this !!!! They all went to one side and huddled in pods
The mites pictured here are not dead correct?

Back
Top Bottom