mites in coop still?

trudes19

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2016
hi there

last summer we had a few hens and they unfortunately got mites. The coop I discovered at night was full of them! We got the girls out into a new area and then eventually gave the hens away when I couldn't get a handle on the mites naturally. I made an assumption that all the mites and eggs will die in the cold winter. Do you agree? Ive been into the coop many times, cleaning it out. Looks good...but it was so bad, the dust of dead mites has stained parts of the wood. I'm thinking that's not a big deal. I wired brushed and sprayed water and shop vacuumed. So I'm hoping the winter did the job with killing all the eggs that could have slipped in the cracks. I know with bed bugs, the cold will kill them. Thoughts? Wanting to get more chickens asap.

Thanks in advance!

The cold probably didn't kill all the mites. Coop mites are stubborn because they hide deep in cracks and crevices and are difficult to reach unless you use a pesticide sprayer. Is that how you treated them? What product did you use and how many times did you treat?

There is a product that effectively treats coop mites in one application and it's also safe to use directly on chickens. It's called Elector PSP and you can get it from Amazon.

hi there

last summer we had a few hens and they unfortunately got mites. The coop I discovered at night was full of them! We got the girls out into a new area and then eventually gave the hens away when I couldn't get a handle on the mites naturally. I made an assumption that all the mites and eggs will die in the cold winter. Do you agree? Ive been into the coop many times, cleaning it out. Looks good...but it was so bad, the dust of dead mites has stained parts of the wood. I'm thinking that's not a big deal. I wired brushed and sprayed water and shop vacuumed. So I'm hoping the winter did the job with killing all the eggs that could have slipped in the cracks. I know with bed bugs, the cold will kill them. Thoughts? Wanting to get more chickens asap.

Thanks in advance!
No. Young mites and Eggs can survive through winter. Water wont' kill them. The eggs can be in cracks/crannies of the wood, etc. You need to treat the coop
Since the coop is empty using a Permethrin spray would be the way to go. Elector PSP can also be used.
Once you get chickens, it would be a very good idea to check them weekly to see if more mites or lice appear and treat quickly.
For the chickens you can use the Permethrin spray or dust, Elector PSP or other suitable treatment you find.

The cold probably didn't kill all the mites. Coop mites are stubborn because they hide deep in cracks and crevices and are difficult to reach unless you use a pesticide sprayer. Is that how you treated them? What product did you use and how many times did you treat?

There is a product that effectively treats coop mites in one application and it's also safe to use directly on chickens. It's called Elector PSP and you can get it from Amazon.

I can't remember exactly what i used.... something that someone recommended on here before. It was essential oils i know that... and I knew it probably wouldn't work as well as a product.
My next question is, wouldn't they die without having a host to eat from?
Do you think its safe to get the chickens now and then spray down with that product you suggested. Where I live and current global situation.... most places don't have ready to lay hens til august! But I know a farmer here that has 6 for me, but he won't hold them.

Red coop mites can survive up to eight months with no hosts to suck blood from. But I would still treat the coop before getting new hens.

Elector PSP is the best, easiest treatment for coops and chickens but it is costly. The good news is a small 8 ounce bottle will last you many years since it's concentrated and will make many, many gallons. You will never need to buy another pesticide, and Elector also treats lice and scaly leg mites.

Where are you in the world?

If you are able to get the Permethrin or Elector quickly (like in the next few days), then yes, I would get the chickens now too.

Ontario Canada.... stores are shutdown, but ya I think I could get that a farm co-op for curbside pick up.

Back
Top Bottom