Mites/lice - now hen growling?

feather16

Songster
6 Years
Jul 30, 2017
CA, USA
I have 10month old chicks, one roo and 2 hens. I recently discovered a mites/lice infestation. I gave them ivermectin, garden and poultry dust, and DE. Should I treat them for worms and corrid too?

Now one of my hens puffs up and growls at me when I get close to give treats. She’ll actually be growling as she’s eating the treats I gave. Could she be going broody, or is she just not feeling well? She does seem a little less active too.

She was about a week ago, she’d lay, push it under her and then sit for another 2-3 hours. Then go about her business. But that’s about it ?

Sounds like possible broody, stick her in a wire cage no shavings just wire bottom with food & water, suspended off the ground so air circulates under the cage. Keep her in there for 2 - 3 days, release her and see if she joins the flock. Put her back in if she starts the broodiness for a few more days.

Unless you want her to hatch eggs just leave her alone, leave the eggs. They continue to lay until they're done (don't know how), will join the flock eating & drinking. Once they sit, they'll still leave the nest to eat, drink & poop but not as often nor as long.

Okay thank you, I wanted to make sure I wasn’t ignoring something else. I didn’t know if hens eased into broodiness, or not, since she’s not posted in the nesting box all the time

Back
Top Bottom