Mites/lice - now hen growling?

Some withdrawal some don’t. I’ve read the ivermectin dip there is no egg withdrawal? So I don’t really get how that works.

If there’s an egg withdrawal, and I have a broody hen. Should I worry about the babies?
Withdrawal for all types of ivermectin.

Not sure but I've read elsewhere that Ivermectin 0.1ml orally repeating 10 days later but also said lifetime egg withdrawal! It was also disputed by another saying that withdrawal at least a week but she then doesn't eat the skin nor fat on the bird. Anyone else ...
That's ivermectin fear mongering. :D
This is what one vet says and she allegedly got her info from FARAD.
"Ivermectin (any dose) - 8 week withdrawal"

I am posting the results of an experiment I did this week. The subject was a young Brahma pullet full of lice/mites. I think she is around 1.5-2 kg. On evening 1 I have her 0.60mg ivermectin in pills (that's what I had at the moment). I didn't know what the correct dosage is, so I just randomly decided the quantity. On the next morning her bedding was full of dead lice/mites. During the day she was out and around with the rest of the flock. On evening 2 I separated her again, put clean bedding and didn't give her anything. The next morning her 'sheets' were full of live and moving lice/mites! Not even one dead, nasty creatures! So my conclusion - I either didn't give the correct dosage, or ivermectin doesn't stay in the blood so long to continue working even if the chicken don't take it.
Why is this long egg withdrawal period then?

The dose is not drops. :D Birds should be weighed or at least have their weights guessed and the proper amount should be given. I have bolded the amount I use.

There are two types, one is injectable, the other is a pour on. The doses are different.

The max dose for 1% Ivermectin is 1 mg/kg which is 0.045 ml per pound. This can be given orally, by injection, or topically.
A five pound hen would get 0.23 ml.

The minimum effective dose for 1% Ivermectin is 0.2 mg/kg which is 0.009 ml per pound. This can be given orally, by injection, or topically.
A five pound hen would get 0.045 ml

The max dose for Pour On Ivermectin is 1 mg/kg which is 0.09 ml per pound. This is given topically only.
A five pound hen would get 0.45 ml.

The minimum effective dose for Pour On Ivermectin is 0.5 mg/kg, which is 0.045 ml per pound. This is given topically only.
A five pound hen would get 0.23 ml

DO NOT USE this on your dogs unless you are working with a vet!
Is this the same as for cattle?

There are two types, one is injectable, the other is a pour on. The doses are different.

The max dose for 1% Ivermectin is 1 mg/kg which is 0.045 ml per pound. This can be given orally, by injection, or topically.
A five pound hen would get 0.23 ml.

The minimum effective dose for 1% Ivermectin is 0.2 mg/kg which is 0.009 ml per pound. This can be given orally, by injection, or topically.
A five pound hen would get 0.045 ml

The max dose for Pour On Ivermectin is 1 mg/kg which is 0.09 ml per pound. This is given topically only.

The minimum effective dose for Pour On Ivermectin is 0.5 mg/kg, which is 0.045 ml per pound. This is given topically only.

DO NOT USE this on your dogs unless you are working with a vet!
This is extremely helpful. Thank you. I do have a question though..

According to http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/ivermectin the dose for chickens is .2-.4mg / kg.. Here is the math I am coming up with, which is different than the above... What am I doing wrong?

Chicken weight = 6lb or 2.7kg
.4mg x 2.7 kg = 1.08 mg

Wouldn't this convert to .216mL of product?
5x=1.08

This is extremely helpful. Thank you. I do have a question though..

According to http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/ivermectin the dose for chickens is .2-.4mg / kg.. Here is the math I am coming up with, which is different than the above... What am I doing wrong?

Chicken weight = 6lb or 2.7kg
.4mg x 2.7 kg = 1.08 mg

Wouldn't this convert to .216mL of product?
5x=1.08

fwiw - Poultry DVM is not a veterinarian website

You are confusing yourself by doing a lot of further research. Again, may I suggest that if you are not confident in dosing info, that you take the Pour On back. Treat your birds and housing intensely with Powder/Spray in 7 day intervals.

Max Dose Pour On is 1mg/kg which is 0.09mg per pound of weight.

The math is:
1 ÷ 2.2 x 1 ÷ 5 = 0.09 this is the dose per pound of weight for Pour On.

1661096272471.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom