Mites/lice - now hen growling?

Thank you very much for your time, help, patience and understanding...I am trying my best to understand how all this works. But from this very message going forward I will NOT reply or comment within another's writings and will somehow find a way to copy and paste it is specific to something someone started or said that I have further questions on, or start all over at the very beginning explaining everything all over from the very start. Again, thank you!
To the person who wrote this...I'm sorry once again to have stepped into your thread.
You can ask questions on other threads/posts, but if you are having problems with your hens/flock, then having a thread of your own can keep everything in one place, making it easier for you to see all posts and also for those that may offer suggestions - they can see what's been suggested already and add to it if they wish.

The dose is not drops. :D Birds should be weighed or at least have their weights guessed and the proper amount should be given. I have bolded the amount I use.

There are two types, one is injectable, the other is a pour on. The doses are different.

The max dose for 1% Ivermectin is 1 mg/kg which is 0.045 ml per pound. This can be given orally, by injection, or topically.
A five pound hen would get 0.23 ml.

The minimum effective dose for 1% Ivermectin is 0.2 mg/kg which is 0.009 ml per pound. This can be given orally, by injection, or topically.
A five pound hen would get 0.045 ml

The max dose for Pour On Ivermectin is 1 mg/kg which is 0.09 ml per pound. This is given topically only.
A five pound hen would get 0.45 ml.

The minimum effective dose for Pour On Ivermectin is 0.5 mg/kg, which is 0.045 ml per pound. This is given topically only.
A five pound hen would get 0.23 ml

DO NOT USE this on your dogs unless you are working with a vet!
How frequently do I give the topical dose for gapeworm to my hens? Thank you:)

How frequently do I give the topical dose for gapeworm to my hens? Thank you:)
Welcome To BYC
Ivermectin would not be my choice to treat Gapeworm.
Use Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole) instead.

Do you have confirmation of Gapeworm in your flock or are your hens having symptoms of respiratory illness. While Gapeworms can be a problem, sometimes respiratory illness is the cause of symptoms seen. If you wish, start a new thread and describe symptoms along with some photos of your concerns, we may be able to offer some better suggestions.

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Welcome To BYC
Ivermectin would not be my choice to treat Gapeworm.
Use Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole) instead.

Do you have confirmation of Gapeworm in your flock or are your hens having symptoms of respiratory illness. While Gapeworms can be a problem, sometimes respiratory illness is the cause of symptoms seen. If you wish, start a new thread and describe symptoms along with some photos of your concerns, we may be able to offer some better suggestions.

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.
Thank you. My hen was unable to cluck and appeared to be struggling to breath. She lost the strength to properly walk, drink, or eat. After some research and speaking with folks at our local feed store the recommended ivermectin to treat what sounded like gapeworm. It presented as working and she is running around, eating, drinking and her odd behavior is gone.

Thank you. My hen was unable to cluck and appeared to be struggling to breath. She lost the strength to properly walk, drink, or eat. After some research and speaking with folks at our local feed store the recommended ivermectin to treat what sounded like gapeworm. It presented as working and she is running around, eating, drinking and her odd behavior is gone.
Glad to hear she's doing better.

Back
Top Bottom