Mites/Lice...or Just Molting?

ColoradoSLV

Songster
5 Years
Jul 1, 2016
Hi.

I have one (of three) production Rhode Island Reds that's lost some many feathers that she's looking almost like a walking, clucking, grocery store package...that still poops!

Reading other BYC threads on feather loss and their treatment(s), I took the precaution of treating possible infestations with Manna-Pro 'Poultry Protector' in the yellow spray bottle.

(About four months ago I did accidentally shoot her with a very mild bleach/water solution. Her feathers did lighten and a few fell out, but not to the degree she's lost plumage in the past several weeks.)

Pictures available on request, but in the meantime I;m going to see what the local co-op has for Ivermectrin and Permethrin (both intended for horses...)

Thanks!

Hi, again...

Here are two pictures of my "feather-losing' Rhode Island Red:

View attachment 1251525 View attachment 1251526

The bird is just under two years old, and while I did see pin-/replacement feathers, she sure is showing a lot of skin!

Just after these photos were taken I dusted her very lightly with only the Permethrin-based dust, avoiding the Ivermectrin altogether.

Your thoughts?

It does look like molting to me, they molt at various stages sometimes and can look a mess. I think you did fine giving her a dusting.

Also take note to see if any of the other birds may be plucking out new growth, especially during roosting.

Just keep a watch on her to see that she is eating/drinking well. Molting birds do tend to become more sensitive and isolate themselves. She may also benefit from extra protein during this time (egg, tuna, etc.) to give her a boost.

I have been going through a similar issues with a cochin pullet. She had suddenly lost a lot of neck feathers and I couldn't figure out if it was from the lice infestation I had recently treated her for OR if she was molting OR if someone was pulling out her feathers. What I have been doing to monitor her is bring her inside for a few minutes each night for an "inspection." I check her vent to make sure all the bugs are gone, very carefully check the bald areas to make sure her feathers are coming back in nicely (they are!) and look for any evidence of pecking or feather pulling (I did find one recent peck/bite wound but it is healing well now). After her wellness check, I give her a treat like a small spoonful of tuna, a few pieces of boiled egg or some meal worms. Then she goes back onto her roost in the coop.

I am pretty certain now that she is molting, but I am keeping up with the wellness checks to make sure nothing changes for the worse. It stops me from worrying too much, I enjoy getting to give her a few snuggles and she loves getting a little snack all her own. Win, win, win!

Hope this example helps and that your girl is back to her old self very soon!!!!

Looked at the birds this morning.

The RI Red seems to be her usual, perky self, I'll spray the other birds this afternoon, and will provide the tuna-in-water as a treat...and ALL of them never get enough mealworms, scratch grains, or whatever - at least, according to them!

I like the idea of (daily? weekly?) wellness checks. I'd been doing them only occasionally but will increase their frequency.

(The Barnevelder has some of the wax-covered feathers showing, the waxiness is showing on the other three, but I agree with the preventative measures mentioned here.)

Thanks - and I hope someone else can benefit from the info!

Try to limit your treats to no more than 5-10% of their daily intake. A lot depends on the protein % of what your regular feed is. Anything you feed in addition to a balanced poultry feed dilutes the daily protein/nutritional content.

Wax covered looking feathers - what you are seeing is the protective keratin sheath of the new feathers coming in. As the feathers continue to grow, it will start to peel and the birds will preen to remove that sheath.

I hope all goes well for you, please keep us posted.

Hi.

I have one (of three) production Rhode Island Reds that's lost some many feathers that she's looking almost like a walking, clucking, grocery store package...that still poops!

Reading other BYC threads on feather loss and their treatment(s), I took the precaution of treating possible infestations with Manna-Pro 'Poultry Protector' in the yellow spray bottle.

(About four months ago I did accidentally shoot her with a very mild bleach/water solution. Her feathers did lighten and a few fell out, but not to the degree she's lost plumage in the past several weeks.)

Pictures available on request, but in the meantime I;m going to see what the local co-op has for Ivermectrin and Permethrin (both intended for horses...)

Thanks!

Photos will be most helpful.
How old is she?

Look at her to see if there is new growth (pin feathers) coming in. That would indicate she is molting.
If she is really naked, then you should be able to see lice moving on her if there is an infestation - look around the vent, under the wings, etc.

For lice and mite infestations, it would be best to use a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust. You can find that in the feed store.

Ivermectin can be used to treat Scaly leg mites, external parasites and some worms, you would want to only use either the Permethrin or the Ivermectin, not combine them. Do keep in mind that Permethrin products that are labeled for use in poultry usually do not have a withdrawal period. Ivermectin is not labeled for use in poultry, so you will want to find a withdrawal period that you are comfortable with.

Hi, again...

Here are two pictures of my "feather-losing' Rhode Island Red:

View attachment 1251525 View attachment 1251526

The bird is just under two years old, and while I did see pin-/replacement feathers, she sure is showing a lot of skin!

Just after these photos were taken I dusted her very lightly with only the Permethrin-based dust, avoiding the Ivermectrin altogether.

Your thoughts?
Hi
This is not how my chicken moulted however all chickens moult differently .

Last edited:
My chickens were moulting about a month ago, about 2 months before their first year after hatch. Mine seemed to start moulting near the shortest daylight hours of the year and stopped laying eggs for about 3 weeks. One particular breed was losing only the feathers on the neck, but leaving short quills. The other breeds were losing just a little bit of feathers evenly without showing any skin. The feathers all started growing back after a little over a week with glossy, shiny and beautiful thick feathers. Makes me wonder why they would do that when it was freezing cold out. I'm glad they were thinking and scheduled winter when egg production is slower.

Back
Top Bottom