Mites/Lice...or Just Molting?

ColoradoSLV

Songster
5 Years
Jul 1, 2016
Hi.

I have one (of three) production Rhode Island Reds that's lost some many feathers that she's looking almost like a walking, clucking, grocery store package...that still poops!

Reading other BYC threads on feather loss and their treatment(s), I took the precaution of treating possible infestations with Manna-Pro 'Poultry Protector' in the yellow spray bottle.

(About four months ago I did accidentally shoot her with a very mild bleach/water solution. Her feathers did lighten and a few fell out, but not to the degree she's lost plumage in the past several weeks.)

Pictures available on request, but in the meantime I;m going to see what the local co-op has for Ivermectrin and Permethrin (both intended for horses...)

Thanks!

Will get pictures tomorrow morning.

All the birds are acting normally - or...as normally as ever - but it wasn't until the sunlight hit this one bird just right that I could see a difference.

(For 'The Phantom': what did you use for treatment?)

Thanks for all the replies!!!

Hi.

I have one (of three) production Rhode Island Reds that's lost some many feathers that she's looking almost like a walking, clucking, grocery store package...that still poops!

Reading other BYC threads on feather loss and their treatment(s), I took the precaution of treating possible infestations with Manna-Pro 'Poultry Protector' in the yellow spray bottle.

(About four months ago I did accidentally shoot her with a very mild bleach/water solution. Her feathers did lighten and a few fell out, but not to the degree she's lost plumage in the past several weeks.)

Pictures available on request, but in the meantime I;m going to see what the local co-op has for Ivermectrin and Permethrin (both intended for horses...)

Thanks!

Photos will be most helpful.
How old is she?

Look at her to see if there is new growth (pin feathers) coming in. That would indicate she is molting.
If she is really naked, then you should be able to see lice moving on her if there is an infestation - look around the vent, under the wings, etc.

For lice and mite infestations, it would be best to use a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust. You can find that in the feed store.

Ivermectin can be used to treat Scaly leg mites, external parasites and some worms, you would want to only use either the Permethrin or the Ivermectin, not combine them. Do keep in mind that Permethrin products that are labeled for use in poultry usually do not have a withdrawal period. Ivermectin is not labeled for use in poultry, so you will want to find a withdrawal period that you are comfortable with.

Hi, again...

Here are two pictures of my "feather-losing' Rhode Island Red:

RIR 2018-01-31a.jpg RIR 2018-01-31b 500x522.jpg

The bird is just under two years old, and while I did see pin-/replacement feathers, she sure is showing a lot of skin!

Just after these photos were taken I dusted her very lightly with only the Permethrin-based dust, avoiding the Ivermectrin altogether.

Your thoughts?

Hi, again...

View attachment 1251525 View attachment 1251526

The bird is just under two years old, and while I did see pin-/replacement feathers, she sure is showing a lot of skin!

Just after these photos were taken I dusted her very lightly with only the Permethrin-based dust, avoiding the Ivermectrin altogether.

Your thoughts?
Hi
This is not how my chicken moulted however all chickens moult differently .

Last edited:
Hi, again...

View attachment 1251525 View attachment 1251526

Your thoughts?

It does look like molting to me, they molt at various stages sometimes and can look a mess. I think you did fine giving her a dusting.

Also take note to see if any of the other birds may be plucking out new growth, especially during roosting.

Just keep a watch on her to see that she is eating/drinking well. Molting birds do tend to become more sensitive and isolate themselves. She may also benefit from extra protein during this time (egg, tuna, etc.) to give her a boost.

With having the birds just under two years I should have been through at least one molting, but the baldness did seem excessive. Thanks for all the inputs, evaluations and comments.

(Chickens are OK with tuna? Packed in oil, water, or does it make a difference?)

I'm heading to the coop shortly and will see what's happening with the chickenzz. :)

Back
Top Bottom