Amer

Advocate of Shiloh
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 8, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
I have a show hen that I am exhibiting at the state fair right now. To my shock and horror, she has mites. 2 weeks ago I discovered she had mites. I washed her using cat flea tick shampoo and put Permethrin in the rinse tub. Then I replaced all the bedding in her pen and washed down the floor. Last week, she still had mites, so I washed her using the same procedure. I didn’t check after washing her, so here we are.
We got ivermectin but I forgot to use it.
Are the mites immune to permethrin?
Why wouldn’t washing remove all the mites?
What do I do now? All I have here is livestock shampoo.

You will need to eliminate the mites from housing as well from on the hen.
Repeat treating the housing and the hen in 5-7 days intervals for several weeks.

Permethrin is effective, but you will have to be committed to treating frequently.

You mention bathing in Ivermectin Twice in your title - even with Ivermectin, you still need to eliminate the mites from housing or they will infest your hen.

The good news is, I eliminated the mites at least temporarily using a very cold bath (no hot water at the cattle washing station) and livestock shampoo approved for chickens. I find what looked like mite eggs in her beard and I wonder if that’s why they keep reappearing on her vent after I eliminate them from the vent. I soaped down the beard intensely and washed out the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom