mites? update: lice

Okay. 16 lawn refuse bags full later, all bedding is out. I have shop vacced as best I can. 98% of bedding is gone. Down to just some bits. Best I can do.

Do I add fresh bedding, then treat coop?

And, am I treating each chicken plus the two chicks?

Husband came home with Gardenstar Garden & Poultry dust, and they also sold him Diatomaceous Earth, food chemical grade.

Take the useless Diatomaceeous Earth (DE) and get a refund or swap it out for another canister of the Gardenstar Garden & Poultry Dust.

Carefully dust all your birds with the Gardenstar, including the chicks. You can apply it to the chicks by putting a little dust on your fingers and gently rubbing it on the chicks.

Dust the coop, add new bedding and lightly dust the bedding. Then with your hands, gently "pat down" the bedding. It would be best to wear a mask doing this...no need to be sneezing and coughing on your B-day!

Thank you, that’s what I thought about the DE.

It is done!

Weirdly only one hen has really visible lice- the one in the pictures. I am not sure why she’d be most affected. We did lose a pullet last week, out of the blue, now I wonder if she was suffering.

I did mask, wear gloves, and I used the old sock method to dust everyone’s vent and underwing area. Used a plastic bin to work on each bird, it helped being able to pin them down on one side and the other.

Treat again in a week?

Thank you for getting me through today. On the bright side, coop is cleaned out for spring.

Back
Top Bottom