1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mites! Yuck!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CluckznDuckz, Jan 27, 2016.

1. CluckznDuckz

CluckznDuckz Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2015
    Florida
    I just got a few new birds and all of them have had one issue or another. The newest one is mites. The beautiful frizzle I bought was filthy so I gave him a bath and a blow dry today. All of a sudden I see tiny bugs crawling on my hands. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] My son had some on him too as he was helping. We both jumped in the shower. I still feel gross and have that crawling feeling on my skin. [​IMG]

That poor bird though! Now I know why he smelled like poop. He was covered in it and bugs. He had dirt and possibly poop caked on his head feathers. He's so thin too. [​IMG]

I guess my plan is to use Sevin 5% Dust. Is there anything I should know? Is my house going to be infested now? My dog and cat?

2. newbie45

newbie45 New Egg

Jan 27, 2016
    This is my 8 month old foghorn leghorn. Recently this nasty stuff has shown up on his neck and I don't know if he is molting or if it is mites. Please help!
    [​IMG]

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If it is poultry mites/lice they generally will only survive/stay on poultry.
    If the new birds with mites have been introduced to your flock, you will want to monitor/inspect to make sure that the others don't get infested as well.
    I've provided you a link, that helps with identification and treatment options. Sevin seems to be popular and effective.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Looks like mites/lice, take a look at the link I provided the OP above.

1 person likes this.
  5. CluckznDuckz

Jan 28, 2015
    Florida

Thanks. :) I've already read that and several other sites. The thing is, I've washed down and vacuumed my living room furniture twice and put Sevin 5% under the cushions and I'm still finding mites. They get on my skin and I must be allergic because I turn red and itch. I really hope I can get this under control before it creates a problem. This happened because I brought him in for a bath and a blow dry.

Thankfully none of the three birds I've had a problem with are with my flock. I've never had issues like this with my birds. I'm really hoping it stays contained.

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Uggh[​IMG]
    You may have to try to use a "commercial spray" or treatment in the house. You may have to look into something like this http://www.hotshot.com/Products-and-Solutions/All-Products/Flea-Tick-Lice.aspx

Did you already put the 3 new birds with your existing flock?

7. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Try Poultry Protector maybe on your birds. I used it and it worked immediately for my birds. Parasites can't handle citric acid nor sulfur. Orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice. Garlic and onions contain large traces of sulfur. Poultry Protector's main ingredient is Citric acid. My birds smelled like oranges for a couple days but there were no more bugs. Also a dust bathing area with ashes in it can sometimes help too. As for yourselves not sure.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  8. CluckznDuckz

Jan 28, 2015
    Florida
  9. CluckznDuckz

Jan 28, 2015
    Florida

I will pick some of that up as soon as I can. Unfortunately there's no place local for me to buy it. I'll use Sevin on the new birds and get some of that stuff to use on my flock just in case. Thankfully the new ones are still in quarantine.

I'm thinking the mites in the house may be gone, at least mostly. I'll keep vacuuming the furniture daily to make sure. I didn't see any mites this morning so fingers crossed. I'm very grateful my living room isn't a mess or cluttered or this could be so much worse. I'm thinking they were just left over bugs that had come off the bird. He was obviously badly infested the poor thing.

10. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad they are still quarantined[​IMG]
    Hopefully that will help you get it under control before introducing them to your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by