Mites! Yuck!

CluckznDuckz

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2015
Florida
I just got a few new birds and all of them have had one issue or another. The newest one is mites. The beautiful frizzle I bought was filthy so I gave him a bath and a blow dry today. All of a sudden I see tiny bugs crawling on my hands.
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
My son had some on him too as he was helping. We both jumped in the shower. I still feel gross and have that crawling feeling on my skin.
hmm.png

That poor bird though! Now I know why he smelled like poop. He was covered in it and bugs. He had dirt and possibly poop caked on his head feathers. He's so thin too.
somad.gif

I guess my plan is to use Sevin 5% Dust. Is there anything I should know? Is my house going to be infested now? My dog and cat?

This is my 8 month old foghorn leghorn. Recently this nasty stuff has shown up on his neck and I don't know if he is molting or if it is mites. Please help!

I just got a few new birds and all of them have had one issue or another. The newest one is mites. The beautiful frizzle I bought was filthy so I gave him a bath and a blow dry today. All of a sudden I see tiny bugs crawling on my hands.
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
My son had some on him too as he was helping. We both jumped in the shower. I still feel gross and have that crawling feeling on my skin.
hmm.png

That poor bird though! Now I know why he smelled like poop. He was covered in it and bugs. He had dirt and possibly poop caked on his head feathers. He's so thin too.
somad.gif

I guess my plan is to use Sevin 5% Dust. Is there anything I should know? Is my house going to be infested now? My dog and cat?
If it is poultry mites/lice they generally will only survive/stay on poultry.
If the new birds with mites have been introduced to your flock, you will want to monitor/inspect to make sure that the others don't get infested as well.
I've provided you a link, that helps with identification and treatment options. Sevin seems to be popular and effective.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

If it is poultry mites/lice they generally will only survive/stay on poultry.
If the new birds with mites have been introduced to your flock, you will want to monitor/inspect to make sure that the others don't get infested as well.
I've provided you a link, that helps with identification and treatment options. Sevin seems to be popular and effective.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

Thanks. :) I've already read that and several other sites. The thing is, I've washed down and vacuumed my living room furniture twice and put Sevin 5% under the cushions and I'm still finding mites. They get on my skin and I must be allergic because I turn red and itch. I really hope I can get this under control before it creates a problem. This happened because I brought him in for a bath and a blow dry.

Thankfully none of the three birds I've had a problem with are with my flock. I've never had issues like this with my birds. I'm really hoping it stays contained.

Thanks.
smile.png
I've already read that and several other sites. The thing is, I've washed down and vacuumed my living room furniture twice and put Sevin 5% under the cushions and I'm still finding mites. They get on my skin and I must be allergic because I turn red and itch. I really hope I can get this under control before it creates a problem. This happened because I brought him in for a bath and a blow dry.

Thankfully none of the three birds I've had a problem with are with my flock. I've never had issues like this with my birds. I'm really hoping it stays contained.

Uggh
sickbyc.gif

You may have to try to use a "commercial spray" or treatment in the house. You may have to look into something like this http://www.hotshot.com/Products-and-Solutions/All-Products/Flea-Tick-Lice.aspx

Did you already put the 3 new birds with your existing flock?

Try Poultry Protector maybe on your birds. I used it and it worked immediately for my birds. Parasites can't handle citric acid nor sulfur. Orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice. Garlic and onions contain large traces of sulfur. Poultry Protector's main ingredient is Citric acid. My birds smelled like oranges for a couple days but there were no more bugs. Also a dust bathing area with ashes in it can sometimes help too. As for yourselves not sure.

Last edited:
Try Poultry Protector maybe on your birds. I used it and it worked immediately for my birds. Parasites can't handle citric acid nor sulfur. Orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice. Garlic and onions contain large traces of sulfur. Poultry Protector's main ingredient is Citric acid. My birds smelled like oranges for a couple days but there were no more bugs. Also a dust bathing area with ashes in it can sometimes help too. As for yourselves not sure. 

I will pick some of that up as soon as I can. Unfortunately there's no place local for me to buy it. I'll use Sevin on the new birds and get some of that stuff to use on my flock just in case. Thankfully the new ones are still in quarantine.

I'm thinking the mites in the house may be gone, at least mostly. I'll keep vacuuming the furniture daily to make sure. I didn't see any mites this morning so fingers crossed. I'm very grateful my living room isn't a mess or cluttered or this could be so much worse. I'm thinking they were just left over bugs that had come off the bird. He was obviously badly infested the poor thing.

Back
Top Bottom