Mix and Matches Breeding Project Thread

I also think I could get mix color hens?
Depends. You probably would with the EE mixes, but the RIR/BOs I've seen are all an even slightly lighter red throughout their plumage. They may have some black edged feathers, too, but probably very little.
The EE mixes, on the other hand, will most likely have a lot of mixed color offspring. Could you post pictures of you EEs, RIRs, and BOs (the BOs for size reference)?

One question; why do you want a bunch of all red chickens? I'm just curious, since I would personally want more unique colors. Then again, that's just me. :p

why do you want a bunch of all red chickens? I'm just curious, since I would personally want more unique colors
My RIR's are a bit bloody red and I've always wanted them to be a good size like a BO! I always thought it would be cool to have a new redder chicken!
EX RIR:
image5.jpeg

EX EE:
View attachment 1580499
EX BO:
View attachment 1580500

My RIR's are a bit bloody red and I've always wanted them to be a good size like a BO! I always thought it would be cool to have a new redder chicken!
EX RIR:
View attachment 1580497
EX EE:
View attachment 1580499
EX BO:
View attachment 1580500
The attachments that didn't work:
EX EE:
View attachment 1580502
EX BO:
View attachment 1580503
Do you have a picture of one of your BOs compared to a RIR? I want to see the size difference between the two.

Your RIR rooster is very dark, so I'm guessing the BO/RIRs will have a color very similar to production reds. Do you have any other EEs?

I have a wishful thinking plan for some non-specific mix. I don't even know where to really start.
What I want:
  • A large, very large standard sized bird. roughly 9lb female, 12+lb male
  • Bearded, muffed, crested and featherfooted. Possibly with vulture hocks.
  • White to begin with.
  • A small comb
  • Winter hard
  • Broody
  • Good layer
  • Produces colored eggs, preferably more on the blue or light green side
I'm thinking now of starting with a Sultan x WJG. Then breeding back into Sultan to get the vulture hocks and better foot feathering.
Hold Back F1 offspring, WJG and Sultans
Breed a few F1 offspring into white Americaunas to produce EE F2 offspring
Breed F2 back into Sultan to keep Vulture Hocks
Hold back F3 Offspring.

That's about where I'm at. I'm thinking that at the same time I should keep crossing Sultan x WJG in various generations until I can achieve a mixed hen that lays a white or tinted egg.

I have a wishful thinking plan for some non-specific mix. I don't even know where to really start.
What I want:
  • A large, very large standard sized bird. roughly 9lb female, 12+lb male
  • Bearded, muffed, crested and featherfooted. Possibly with vulture hocks.
  • White to begin with.
  • A small comb
  • Winter hard
  • Broody
  • Good layer
  • Produces colored eggs, preferably more on the blue or light green side
I'm thinking now of starting with a Sultan x WJG. Then breeding back into Sultan to get the vulture hocks and better foot feathering.
Hold Back F1 offspring, WJG and Sultans
Breed a few F1 offspring into white Americaunas to produce EE F2 offspring
Breed F2 back into Sultan to keep Vulture Hocks
Hold back F3 Offspring.

That's about where I'm at. I'm thinking that at the same time I should keep crossing Sultan x WJG in various generations until I can achieve a mixed hen that lays a white or tinted egg.
What's a WJG?

Back
Top Bottom