Mix Breeding

AAJ

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 21, 2011
If I had 2 silkie hens and 1 silkie rooster along with 4 buff orpington hens and 1 buff orpington rooster in the same pen would there be a lot of cross breeding? If so, how could I stop it without separating them?

Last edited:
Quote:
well it would if the buff roo mated with the silkie hens. Yeah you're going to get some cross breeding and I'm surprised the 2 roosters are getting along, they usually fight to compete for the hens.

Quote:
well it would if the buff roo mated with the silkie hens. Yeah you're going to get some cross breeding and I'm surprised the 2 roosters are getting along, they usually fight to compete for the hens.

But usually, if the larger rooster breeds with a smaller hen, the weirdly sized chicks can't even make it out of the egg. Ah well.

Not always... I have four roosters to seven hens at the moment, and there isn't any fighting for mating rights at all.

Quote:

But usually, if the larger rooster breeds with a smaller hen, the weirdly sized chicks can't even make it out of the egg. Ah well.

Not always... I have four roosters to seven hens at the moment, and there isn't any fighting for mating rights at all.

Cross breeding LF to bantam is possible, i have hatched many eggs from my banty hens with 80-90 % hatch rate, and because of the crossbreeding the chicks have more genetic diversity and are very healthy. So if chicks dont hatch right it's probably to do with incubation.

luke.

Quote:
They will cross breed, and there is no way to keep them from cross breeding without separating them. I've had large roosters breed bantams for me, and vice-versa. Could you just run a strip of chicken wire down the center of their pen? They just have to have some kind of physical barrier between them. Hope this helps, MW

Back
Top Bottom