Mix Ducks

I'm having trouble what you are saying. Are these three drakes the potential paternal grandfather of your new ducks?

Your ducks definitely don't have a pure pekin as their father, and a pure appleyard is also impossible since the drake's head doesn't have the light throat that an appleyard is supposed to.

They look like they might have cayuga ancestry. Their overall color (black with white bib) can come from the pekin, but they have a large amount of iridescence which makes me think of a cayuga.
Those are my new duck, they are 4 months old

Their mom is in fact a pure pekin but yes there dad is not, it’s either a sliver Apple yard or a mix sliver Apple yard

I was thinking their dad was a mix with sliver Apple yard and Cayuga

they have green near their tail feathers if that helps at all

Are you saying that a drake produced from a cross between an Appleyard and a Pekin should have a white throat? Does the white throat come from the restricted allele? I ask because I have a drake from an Appleyard drake and a Khaki hen and he does not have a white throat?!

I was going by Pyxis's guide, which says that the restricted allele is dominant, and that it is responsible for the Appleyard head coloration. I suppose that the guide could be wrong, I don't know.

There is something in Holderread's book about a "sooty" gene, with the sooty allele carried by some khaki campbells. According to the book, it makes the dusky allele co-dominant instead of recessive. Maybe that explains why your drake's head doesn't look like an appleyard's.

Those are my new duck, they are 4 months old

Their mom is in fact a pure pekin but yes there dad is not, it’s either a sliver Apple yard or a mix sliver Apple yard

I was thinking their dad was a mix with sliver Apple yard and Cayuga

they have green near their tail feathers if that helps at all
They are beautiful either way!

I was going by Pyxis's guide, which says that the restricted allele is dominant, and that it is responsible for the Appleyard head coloration. I suppose that the guide could be wrong, I don't know.

There is something in Holderread's book about a "sooty" gene, with the sooty allele carried by some khaki campbells. According to the book, it makes the dusky allele co-dominant instead of recessive. Maybe that explains why your drake's head doesn't look like an appleyard's.
I read that too and wondered about it. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom