Mixed age chicks?

Teepov

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 21, 2012
Austin, TX
I just bought some chicks (ameraucana, brahma, barred rock, australorp) and will be buying a couple more. My current chicks are a week old and the ones I'm buying tomorrow (faverolle, langshan, maran) are three weeks old. Can I mix them in with the youngsters or should I keep them separate for a while.

I have been wondering the same thing because I have some that are 3 weeks old and some that are 9 days from hatching but I think I will be putting the older ones on the ground and just putting the new ones in the brooder alone.

But you may want to keep yours separate since they were not together when you go them to make sure the new introductions do not have any disease. Also depends on their size. Some of my 3 weekers are small and some are huge so it just kind of depends on the size so the little ones dont get trampled. Good Luck!!!

You could try deparating your brooder into two compartments and let the chicks get used to each other first. Put a small hole in the divider so only the smaller ones can get through to the other side.
Make sure you have plenty of space, and maybe put in some shiny objects to distract them from pecking each other. You should be fine. :) Just keep an eye on them at first and make sure nobody is getting attacked too badly, which probably won't happen with such young chicks. Good luck.

I put 3 day olds in with 2 week olds. The older chicks were terrified of them at first! There was some curious pecking and a lot of "zomg.. here come the little terrorists again!" for a few days but they settled down and are a happy group again.

Thanks all! I'm picking them up tomorrow and will try putting them all together at first... fingers crossed

Looks like they're okay so far. There was a little bit of eye-pecking from my blue langshan (bought today, older bird) on my australorp this afternoon, but I haven't seen the lang do it again...

Back
Top Bottom