Mixed Breed Photo Reference *please read guidelines in first post before adding content*

Pics
I'm thinking about trying to hatch some Red Sex Link's.

So.. It took a longtime to go through the entire thread, but I couldn't find any Buff Orph Roo X SLW pics. I know they will be Red Sex Link but would love to see pics before I actually hatch some eggs. Does anyone happen to have this cross? The only thing I've read about them is that sometimes it's hard to tell at hatch male from female, because of the light gold... Is this accurate? And does anyone have pics of this cross?

You know, I might - I had a rooster from just such a cross at one point. Let me see if I can dig anything up. I didn't know he was this cross when he hatched, though, so I can't help on whether they're easy to tell apart as chicks as far as gender goes.

Edit: These are the best I have, it seems. Second chick in on the first picture, first chick in front of the hen in the second picture. The others are pure buff orpinton, and one EE cross. He looked a lot like a SLW when he grew up color wise, but almost all silver down his chest and with poor lacing, but he had buff in his hackles and saddle.

Last edited:
Welsummer roo x Black Australorp. This is Bubba the rooster who is leading my perfect Minnesota bird project. I plan on use him over partridge Chanteclers or Buff Brahmas. I want small pea or cushion combs so no chance of frost bite, and I want them to lay lots of large eggs. But also dress out at 9-10 pounds. Which is asking alot out of a bunch of different heritage breed but eith the right hybridizing I can do lots. I have a cornish cross hen that should help me with bird size and large eggs.

And a brand new pic of him.

Thanks so much for the pics and info! I think I'll give it a go to see how it turns out. My wife's grandfather wanted the Sex Links, so I figured I'd try to help out since I had the chickens and fertile eggs already.

Any idea what the offspring will look like from these two? The rooster is a Mille Fleur Old English Game bantam and the mother is A citron spangled/penciled Maiden rock bantam hen.
The Mille Fleur mottling is recessive. The Citron is the same recessive gene as cream. Most likely, you will get gold/red spangled or penciled birds from this pairing. No mottling or citron/cream in the first generation.

The Mille Fleur mottling is recessive. The Citron is the same recessive gene as cream. Most likely, you will get gold/red spangled or penciled birds from this pairing. No mottling or citron/cream in the first generation.
Okay thank you! So if I cross the chicks together would some turn out citron, or would I have to pair them with the mother?

Back
Top Bottom