Mixed Flock or Not?

I'm have the best of both worlds! I have a mixed layer flock but one breed flock of orpingtons! Its not true about one breed having all the same personally. But if you want eggs go mixed! Breeding go for a single breed flock.

The size difference with silkies will be a problem! But if you still want silkies (we have a few) get a separate coop; it doesn't have to be big for bantam!

I hope it is a Buff Brahma! I bought two, along with 3 Cochins, and a few others breeds that I already have. I've found the BB and the Cochins to be much friendlier chicks than the other breeds were. In fact, the RIR chick has come around to being friendly too, since the majority of the other chicks are that way. My other RIR hens were not this friendly until they reached the point of lay, and then they were very friendly.

I hope my BB chicks are as pretty as the one in the picture!

Buff Brahmas are so regal looking. I would have liked to get at least one but I was looking for the best layers when I was picking my chicks and brahmas are not the best layers. I might get one for fun next year. I have 4 RIRs. They are not the friendliest, but, they haven't started laying yet, so, there is hope. My friendliest birds are my barred rock and Dominiques. However, there are not so friendly to the 2 EEs that I just got. I think it's because they are on the low end of the pecking order and they don't want to have any more ahead of them.

Yes - I have an Ameraucana hen and a RIR hen. The Ameraucan is at the bottom of the pecking order, even below the Orphingtons. My best layers are the Orphingtons and the RIR hen. I had two, but one RIR took a ride home with my dad and then disappeared, so she's gone. I bought the seven new chicks a few weeks ago to pick the numbers in my flock back up, and I have enough good egg layers that I decided to buy the cochins and the brahmas just to see what they were like. So, all total, I have 2 RIR's, 2 Ameracuanas, 2 Buff Orphingtons, 2 Buff Brahmas and 3 Cochins. I had a rooster, but a predator took him a few weeks ago. Don't think I'll replace him as he was a pain.

Yes - I have an Ameraucana hen and a RIR hen. The Ameraucan is at the bottom of the pecking order, even below the Orphingtons. My best layers are the Orphingtons and the RIR hen. I had two, but one RIR took a ride home with my dad and then disappeared, so she's gone. I bought the seven new chicks a few weeks ago to pick the numbers in my flock back up, and I have enough good egg layers that I decided to buy the cochins and the brahmas just to see what they were like. So, all total, I have 2 RIR's, 2 Ameracuanas, 2 Buff Orphingtons, 2 Buff Brahmas and 3 Cochins. I had a rooster, but a predator took him a few weeks ago. Don't think I'll replace him as he was a pain.

Sounds like a nice flock!

I really enjoy them! The different breeds have different personalities and habits, but they are all individuals too. I'm looking forward to getting my large coop built this weekend. In a few weeks, I can move the chicks to the chicken tractor and have the hens and the chicks together, but with the pen fence in between them. That way, they can integrate into the flock more easily because the hens will know them by that time. I'll have a total of 11 hens then.

Thanks ! Yes ! Ms .Buffy is a Buff Brahma. She acts shy I think it may be that She knows She is Pretty.LOL I have a few more Brahmas but they are the light brahmas . But really She is My Favorite. .I can say this about My Chickens but Not the Children .
hide.gif

My Black Swedish broke her leg earlier in the year. A trip to the vet confirmed it. He offered to pin it but I opted out. Already spent $125 for the x-ray and exam. She was isolated for a month and healed nicely but last week I think she re-broke it (Disco mounting her probably was a contributing factor). So I took her to a neighbor who has a lovely, huge pond and an injured wild Canadian goose. They are getting along great! The Black Swedish (who my neighbor named Fern) swam right up to the wild goose, Patsy. Fern had never been in a pond, only the water troughs at my place and was so excited to be able to swim and not touch bottom. It was so cute! So as this picture shows, they're pals. Hopefully she is healing again since she is able to keep weight off that leg. Another mixed relationship with a good result!

Back
Top Bottom