Mixed heritage and birds with dubious parentage thread. (mutts)

From my reading, Dixie Rainbow = Pioneer. Maybe Rangers are also the same bird?

It could be, or I could be wrong, MountainMom I think it was, told me her hatchery called red rangers.

I think it is like the names used for easter eggers, americanas ameuracas and any other perversion of the spelling they can think of.

I like their speckly barring. That's a real term, right?

The "red rangers" I've seen are not like this. They remind me more of a faverolle/new Hampshire/Delaware kind of cross, not speckly and barred like this. I suppose the hatcheries all have their own proprietary or "secret" mix for sexlink layers and colored meat birds.

You have a red chicken in the foreground of the last photo - is that a Dixie Rainbow, too? Are they sexlinked? It looks like barred rock is for sure in the bloodline, particularly if you say they are tall. I wonder what else they have...I think they're prettier than the red rangers I've seen in the past.

Wouldn't it be something if that porcelain egg comes from one of your Rainbows.

I found with my Pioneers, that all of the roos had some barring. The girls were either a light red, or a buff color, with some black feathers thrown in here or there. I think the rangers are a more uniform color.

I found with my Pioneers, that all of the roos had some barring. The girls were either a light red, or a buff color, with some black feathers thrown in here or there. I think the rangers are a more uniform color.

I have heard that each hatchery uses their own "recipe" to make these and nothing is very uniform on them...

I know we do not post here often BUT I just wanted to announce that on Friday I have my first batch of Mutts of 2015 hatching!!!

I have 2 incubators now so I can hatch spit batches by using the one as a hatcher..

See. Now you've made me feel weird for trying to keep my breeders separate.

And I have mutt envy.

I am two weeks away from collecting hatching eggs. I was going to wait three more, but now that I see all the cool people are hatching dubious barnyard mixes, I may just take a walk on the wild side!!

I think as spring and summer hatches progress, we'll have more activity here.

Very excited to see all your chicks, Ralphie!

See. Now you've made me feel weird for trying to keep my breeders separate.

And I have mutt envy.

I am two weeks away from collecting hatching eggs. I was going to wait three more, but now that I see all the cool people are hatching dubious barnyard mixes, I may just take a walk on the wild side!!

I think as spring and summer hatches progress, we'll have more activity here.

Very excited to see all your chicks, Ralphie!

GO for it..

I have 2 pure Crested creams that seem to be hatching the rest is of very us dubious parentage...

Back
Top Bottom