Mixed heritage and birds with dubious parentage thread. (mutts)

Nope, not sadistic at all. My son braced the rooster against his chest because we both thought he would have a fit! I gave a TINY little twist right at the base of the spur, and was amazed when it popped right off in my hands. Two drops of blood and we were done. My son said the rooster didn't even flinch or tense up.

I am pretty sure even the rooster didn't think it was sadistic. :)

These are from

This one who is a

Very dominant she. Lol.

Here are more pictures of my new roosters Ed and Ole.

Ed is not really feeling the love or showing it yet. I am not sure he likes me.

ED is the dark "americauna" or however it is spelled, but might just be an EE..

Ole is the partridge Chanticler.

ED is HUGE!!!

? I was planning on trying out Hubby's new smoker he got for Father's day on the geese but I am too scared to take the plunge.
Smoking is easy. Just follow the directions that came with it and use a meat thermometer and you should not have any trouble. I never smoked whole birds with mine but have done turkey breast salmon and squirrels. If they have no skin I but some bacon on them to keep them from drying out. I also found tat I could not find a difference in the type of wood but it has to be hardwood. I have herd that hickory bark is good to smoke with but have not tried it. I have also found that plain old water works as good as any of the concoctions some people use in the liquid pan. Give it a try and good luck. One not of caution is don't use too much wood to make smoke. A little is good and too much is awful.

I have an EE rooster that looks a lot like Ed.

Good info on spur removal. I had an EE polish mix rooster with 3 inch spurs. He is gentle but he needs an easier time walking.

Smoking is easy. Just follow the directions that came with it and use a meat thermometer and you should not have any trouble. I never smoked whole birds with mine but have done turkey breast salmon and squirrels. If they have no skin I but some bacon on them to keep them from drying out. I also found tat I could not find a difference in the type of wood but it has to be hardwood. I have herd that hickory bark is good to smoke with but have not tried it. I have also found that plain old water works as good as any of the concoctions some people use in the liquid pan. Give it a try and good luck. One not of caution is don't use too much wood to make smoke. A little is good and too much is awful.

So lets say I decided to try smoking one of the geese. Would I need the skin on for smoking or can I smoke it without skin? Would I do the whole bird or put it in pieces? Would I be able to put the bird in the smoker right away or is there a 'drying out' period needed for geese? Sorry to ask here but I was looking around the BYC and couldn't find the answers so I thought I would ask here. As far as the wood chips go I have apple, whiskey, hickory, and mesquite flavors. Which one would suite goose the best? Would smoking duck basically be the same as goose? Thanks!

So lets say I decided to try smoking one of the geese. Would I need the skin on for smoking or can I smoke it without skin? Would I do the whole bird or put it in pieces? Would I be able to put the bird in the smoker right away or is there a 'drying out' period needed for geese? Sorry to ask here but I was looking around the BYC and couldn't find the answers so I thought I would ask here. As far as the wood chips go I have apple, whiskey, hickory, and mesquite flavors. Which one would suite goose the best? Would smoking duck basically be the same as goose? Thanks!

I consider myself the world champion smoker.

You can do it anyway you want. Skin on, Skin off. whole, half, or cut up.

I always soak the meat in a mixture of salt water ( strong enough to float an egg). I had brown sugar, honey or whatever I want for sweetening, when it has soaked long enough, which is always at least over night or longer. It can go longer depending on the amount of adult beverages I deem appropriate for the occasion. I find when in Effie it requires more beverages than here at home. I think it is the northern latitudes.

Soak the wood in water so it is good and wet, put the wood in a steel box with a coupe small air holes and turn on the fire! Try to keep it around 180. Also have lots of water above the smoke box for the moisture. The water "bowl" will get gunky with grease and fat dripping off the bird and the smoke, I suggest you not use a good bowl for this, I have a special metal one I use. Using any other would send me to the hospital a victim of spouse abuse. It is hard to ruin something smoking it. I have used all types of wood, the difference in taste is barely noticeable. Make sure it is a hard wood, because of pine tars.

Back
Top Bottom