Mixed Up or Just Weird?

DelawaresinCA

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2022
Hi everyone!
I've been raising my Delawares and I have 2 that look different. They remind me of leghorns or CA whites. I guess I'm just curious do you think they are a different breed or just "undesirable" Delawares?
About 20 years ago my mom ordered hatching eggs from a science supply place for her Pre-K class to witness and we had buff Orpingtons and one rooster of mystery breed. He was black and white and clearly not an Orpington. So I know you can get different breeds than ordered by mistake.
You can see one of the birds on the left here. I have 2 just like that. They're smaller and don't have the same black markings as the others, and they have those big tails. I guess I can always wait 2 more months and see what happens come egg time. :idunno

Attachments

• IMG_20220727_074503937_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220727_074503937_HDR.jpg
    785.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Hi everyone!
I've been raising my Delawares and I have 2 that look different. They remind me of leghorns or CA whites. I guess I'm just curious do you think they are a different breed or just "undesirable" Delawares?
About 20 years ago my mom ordered hatching eggs from a science supply place for her Pre-K class to witness and we had buff Orpingtons and one rooster of mystery breed. He was black and white and clearly not an Orpington.
You can see one of the birds on the left here. I have 2 just like that. They're smaller and don't have the same black markings as the others, and they have those big tails. I guess I can always wait 2 more months and see what happens come egg time. :idunno
Austra/Cali whites of some sort

Good eye, welcome to BYC! :frow

I think you're correct, different breed per the white ear lobes. Cali white is a good possibility.

I'm guessing Cali whites, I don't think Hoover's has austra whites. Not sure how you mix them up but as chicks they look identical to Dels.

If they are California Whites you're going to get some excellent egg-laying performance.

My CW laid 28 days out of 30 her first year and still lays 6 out of 7 in her second year. She's a MACHINE for 65g eggs -- absolutely consistent.

If they are California Whites you're going to get some excellent egg-laying performance.

My CW laid 28 days out of 30 her first year and still lays 6 out of 7 in her second year. She's a MACHINE for 65g eggs -- absolutely consistent.
Wow that's even better than what I've heard! And bigger eggs too. Truly eggceptionally eggcellent!

I might keep her for a third year. But I'm definitely keeping one of her daughters and I made sure I had one in my chick order this past spring.
Who lets you order a single? I was thinking about getting a few different breeds for various colors next year but everyone I see requires you to get 4 or more of each breed.

Who lets you order a single? I was thinking about getting a few different breeds for various colors next year but everyone I see requires you to get 4 or more of each breed.

I like Ideal. www.idealpoultry.com

You can order any number of a given breed and any number of chicks as long as you spend at least $30 (though they may add extra males or have you purchase heat packs when shipping in cold weather).

I *did* order a pair of the CWs intending to keep one and sell the other -- what I usually do with my chick orders. But a blacksnake took 7 out of 12, leaving only one CW.

Back
Top Bottom