Mixer help please

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by debilorrah, Mar 15, 2009.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I bought a cheapo hand mixer from Target and it is piece of junk!!! Can anyone tell me the brand name of a decent one, not KitchenAid (I am saving for that one) that I can get in the mean time? Making tollhouse cookies today about burned the danged thing up.

2. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I have a Braun hand mixer (I also have a KitchenAid stand mixer, but that's new). I've gone through quite a bit of dough with the Braun and it handled it all like a champ. I burned out two before I found the Braun. You need a larger motor, that's what to look for. It's got a 350 watt motor, the cheaper ones are usually aroujd 250 or smaller.

3. debilorrah

Was it expensive? I had sparks coming out of mine today... [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I don't know of any hand mixer that can handle a dough like that. I usually go at it with a wood spoon. You have to cuss a lot, and make sure you hold your mouth right.

*I came real close to posting a pic of the spoon [​IMG]*

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I know you didn't want to hear about the Kitchen aid, but I've got both the stand mixer and their hand mixer......the KA hand mixer is great!!

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    the KA hand mixer is great!![/

That's going to be my next hand mixer - someday! I don't use one very often, so this wimpy 200 watt B & D is gonna last forever..... [​IMG]

7. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    I LOVE the Oster Hand mixer My Mom gave me for Christmas!
    It has regular beaters a whip attachment and bread hooks! This Buggar is POWERFUL! I haven't used it above the "3" setting-- even for cookie dough!

What I really love is that it has a retracting cord for storing it! So no mare tangled-up cords in the cupboard!

They run around $30-$40 depending on where you get it... call around where you shop-- or go online for a better bargain (sometimes)

8. debilorrah

Thanks you guys!!! The KA handmixer is the one I want, but it run $80.... $30 is good for now. I need to start looking now that I have some names.

THANKS!

9. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Debi, I have the 9 speed hand held kitchen aid and it is great! I have the stand mixer too and I only drag it out for large bread recipes. I got my hand held from QVC. Then if you hate it you can send it back, no questions asked![​IMG]

10. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Quote:It wasn't as cheap as the throwaways from Target or whatever, but it wasn't horribly expensive. Don't ask me how much now, it was over 20 years ago!!! I know it wasn't exorbitant because I just can't afford exorbitant! And yes, it still works just fine [​IMG]

I bought it because my hands couldn't handle the wooden spoon method - arthritis started early in my wrists [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by