Mixing animals??

well in florida we dont have thin grass like poeple up north so the grass would obsorb the poop quikly and there is at least 100 sqaure feet or room, and i can feed the bunny in her cage and the ducks outside and when theyu are done let them out and nibble on grass

I have chickens, ducks and 1 house bunny. I would never put my bunny out with either.

Ducks poop a lot and that poor bunny would be constantly washing itself. Corn is not good for bunnies, so the bunny couldn't get into the duck/chicken feed.

I would worry about the bunny getting excited and landing in the duck pool.

I've got muscovy - 1 drake and 2 hens (I think) and they are SO QUIET.

Last edited:
Ducks are great, but a happy duck is a wet duck. Ducks are too messy for a rabbit. Ducks= wet and poopy grass. Bunny needs clean grass and needs have dry ground. You can put up barriers inside of the pen maybe, but they should not be kept in a confined area together IMO. Their dietary needs and substrate/ground needs are too different to have this work well long term. In a pinch maybe, but not long term.

BD - it sounds like your current ducks will be very happy in their new home.

I note what the others say about the rabbit, and I had not thought about the pond, but it is certainly a consideration. My pond is raised up so my tortoises cannot fall or even climb up into it by mistake, so that is something you should think about. Also, the poo depending on the area, but it depends on how large the area is, how many poopers on it, etc!

It sounds like you have a real dilemma on your hands (apart from the bunnies
bun.gif
). You want to keep ducks for eggs and ducklings as well as for fun, but cannot manage the loud quacking of females. You don't want a bachelor group which although would be quiet, would obviously not give you babies or eggs. You are having to rehome your current ducks as they are too loud, but are considering replacing them with WH females which potentially can also be quite loud (taking account of what BYCers are saying who keep them).

If I were in your position, apart from giving up on the idea of keeping female ducks which I know is just not an option
big_smile.png
, I would seriously consider having a lovely group of nice quiet muscovies (girls and boys). Although I have not kept them myself, I have learned from BYC that they are the most friendly type of duck (very good for petting and cuddles), excellent mothers (good for your future baby-raising plans), and very quiet
wee.gif
(perfect defence against complaining neighbours), as well as coming in an absolutely beautiful variety of colours.

If I had the space and if Muscovies were more easily obtainable in the UK, I would get some for myself. Initially I did not like the red faces, but I think their characters are so strong that the faces actually reflect this and they are very cute!

Do let us all know what you decide!

I've had muscovies for many years and this is my first year with Welsh Harlequins... they are NOISY NOISY NOISY compared to Muscovies. Muscovies make very little noise. If noise is an issue, get muscovies. They very rarely quack and when they do, it's only when REALLY startled.

Back
Top Bottom