Mixing Breeds in the Flock

Hello! I have a question, I currently have two 7 week old Rhode Island Reds. I just bought 2 new 1 week old chicks, 1 Barred Rock and 1 Rhode Island Red. Would my Barred Rock get bullied when she gets older because her feathers are a different color? If that's the case should I buy another Barred rock? My two 7 week old RIR haven't had any experiences with different colored chickens except for when they were at the hatchery.

You'll have to watch when you do introduce them to each other because of the ratio 7:2 and the difference in the ages. It would be better to do 2:2 at first and then introduce the others I think. Give them some time with each other through a fence and then when the new ones are about 2 months old, do the 2:2 for a while. Keep an eye on them and then add the others slowly. I'd put the RIRs back in with the others so they don't forget each other a few times. Mark the ones who you are moving back and forth so you don't use different ones each time. It's better to have the younger ones outnumber the older ones when introducing new birds to other birds. A lot of work but it has worked for me in the past to do it this way.

I have 6 breeds in my flock. Silkes, Naked Neck, White Leg Jorn , Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red, and American game fowls.

I have 2 rhode island reds that are about 10 or 12 weeks old but one of them ended up being a male and were selling him tomorrow, so our female rhode island red will be alone. I also have 1 4 week old rhode island red and another 4 week old barred rock. Is it okay for me to put the 4 week olds and the 10 or 12 week old together in the same coop? Will the 10 week old get sad and lonely without her older buddy?

I have 2 rhode island reds that are about 10 or 12 weeks old but one of them ended up being a male and were selling him tomorrow, so our female rhode island red will be alone. I also have 1 4 week old rhode island red and another 4 week old barred rock. Is it okay for me to put the 4 week olds and the 10 or 12 week old together in the same coop? Will the 10 week old get sad and lonely without her older buddy?

Personally I think that is a big age difference but since it is one of the old gals and 2 of the young gals you may be okay. I would just introduce them and be with them for a while to see how it goes. Make sure you have plenty of room for the smaller ones to run away if they need to.

I agree. At four weeks they haven't even feathered---still fluffy little chicks---but my 12 week-olds are feathered and half the size they'll be full grown. I just don't think little chicks are safe around bigger birds. Wait about four more weeks and then assess the situation. If you can separate them but allow them to see each other (through a fence, for instance) I think that's a good way to acclimate them and even get them curious about each other.

Personally I think that is a big age difference but since it is one of the old gals and 2 of the young gals you may be okay. I would just introduce them and be with them for a while to see how it goes. Make sure you have plenty of room for the smaller ones to run away if they need to.

Would my older chicken get lonely? Would she bully them, or will it be just the casual pecking and establishing pecking order?

I agree. At four weeks they haven't even feathered---still fluffy little chicks---but my 12 week-olds are feathered and half the size they'll be full grown. I just don't think little chicks are safe around bigger birds. Wait about four more weeks and then assess the situation. If you can separate them but allow them to see each other (through a fence, for instance) I think that's a good way to acclimate them and even get them curious about each other.

Thank you!

Would my older chicken get lonely? Would she bully them, or will it be just the casual pecking and establishing pecking order?

Thank you!

I agree with rmurrayslcut. If you have a way so they can be separated yet see each other that is the way to go for another month or so. If you can be with them for half hour or so, then put them all together but be there to help them if they need help. The bigger one is likely to be the bully and the top of the order but once they get used to each other, they'll be fine. Good luck.

Last edited:

I personally would wait until the 4 week old birds get bigger in size so they can standup for themselves. If you put the 4 week old in with the 10 or 12 week old birds the will definitely be picked on.

Back
Top Bottom