Mixing chicks with adult hens

AllChookUp

Will Shut Up for Chocolate
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Frozen Lake, MN
I have a dozen BR and Red Star chicks, about 6 weeks old. They are ready to go outside for a little bit during nice weather.

I also have 10 adult hens, mostly BO and GLWs. I have the chick brooder/run within the main run for the adults, but sectioned off.

I want to put some temporary fencing just outside the run so that the chicks can go outside to explore and scratch. I know you're not supposed to put the chicks in with the adults until they are about the same size, but is that a rule more for staying in the same coop, or does it also apply when they are outside? Will the adults pick on the teen chicks?

Thanks!

That's what I was thinking. The front of the brooder has a plexiglass window where the chicks and hens have been able to see each other from the beginning. I'll see how it goes, and let you know!

This year I experimented a bit and had a hen with two chicks, 1 month old, and let them mix with the others. They had enough room to run around and escape if necessary, and they made it. I'll be trying it again in about three weeks with four chicks I have.

Does having a mother hen make a difference?

We have 8 adult hens & 6, 9wk old little girls. A part of the big girl run is sectioned off for the little ones and they have been seeing each other for about a month now. Last week we started letting everyone outside to free range together in the evening and it has worked pretty well. They all go to their separate coops at night. Yesterday, I started letting the little ones in the run with the big ones - I cut a small hole in the netting and they can run into their part if the big ones get too mean. Mainly, they just chase them a bit - a few pecks here and there but nothing serious. My main problem is keeping the little ones out of the layer pellets. I had a hard time switching the big ones to pellets, but these little ones run for them and start eating like they are starving. Which they aren't.

Good luck!

I think there's always going to be some pecking order happening. The self- proclaimed queen hen will be sure to push the younger & weaker ones away from the choice food & treats, be sure there is more than enough for everyone. I usually put out two dishes or piles to give everyone a fair chance & less pecking at each other. Chickens learn quickly, so don't worry too much they work things out.
lol.png

I have 7 chicks ( Buffs) in a separate enclosure with the mother. They are about 2 weeks old. How long should I leave momma in the pen with the chicks? I also have a friend that wants the chicks and needs to know how long they should be kept under the heat lamp.

I B ignorant sometimes:lol:

Back
Top Bottom