Mixing My Own Chicken Food

I would like to start mixing my own chicken food. Does anyone have a suggestions for which grains to use, and what the ratio should be?
What is the number one reason you want to do this?

Are you aware that it will cost ten times the amount of a commercially made bag of feed to mix your own correctly?

Are you aware that it will cost ten times the amount of a commercially made bag of feed to mix your own correctly?
Depending on your location and your ingredients I have not found this to be true - My local grain elevator that mixes our horse feed is able to create chicken feed as well at a comparable (if not lower) price. The only catch is that the minimum order is 300 lbs....

Depending on your needs though, it may be easier to mix up a top-dressing to add to a commercial feed.

and even then, my local mill is going to charge me more for my 300# of custom mix than if I buy 300# of their off the shelf poultry mix for layers, or for growers, or for meaties, or game. Sadly, they don't have an all flock, but I can approximate it by mixing one bag of their layer with two bags of their game bird grower - and still cheaper than having them build me a custom, lower protein all flock.

Back
Top Bottom