Mixing Polish colors

camorrow

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2020
I‘ve tried googling this but what little information I come up with often times seems contradictory, so I’m curious if any of the Polish folks can offer more definitive answers.

With the following combinations, what colors would you get in offspring?

gold laced rooster
Tolbunt, candy corn, or white crested black hens

tolbunt rooster
White crested black or candy corn hens

If I understand correctly, you only get Tolbunt when it’s tolbuntxtolbunt due to the mottling gene, but I’m curious what else ends up coming out instead. I’m trying to decide on some future additions. I know that ideally you wouldn’t have tolbunt and candy corn in the same flock, unless they were both hens or both Roos.

Last edited:
Gold laced x tolbunt - gold laced that carry the mottling gene but don’t express it

Gold laced (roo) x candy corn (hen) - gold laced hens, single barred gold laced roos (so like candy corn but missing one out of two barring genes)

Gold laced x white crested black - could vary from all black to black with partial gold lacing

Tolbunt x white crested black - could vary from all black to black with partial gold lacing, carrying the mottling gene but not expressing it

Tolbunt (roo) x candy corn (hen) - gold laced hens, single barred gold laced roos, carrying the mottling gene but not expressing it

If you breed any carriers of the mottling gene to other carriers, 25% of their offspring will be mottled. If a mottling carrier is bred to a mottled bird, 50% of their offspring would be mottled.
You could breed mottled barred gold laced polish by crossing candy corn and tolbunt. They would probably look pretty interesting, though they might turn out mostly white.

Oops, I apparently didn’t write out the full color. As of right now, we only have two Polishes: one white crested black hen and one golden laced roo (95% sure, though he was meant to be female). They’re only ~2 months old now.

I’ve tried using the calculator but for some reason I can’t get it to work for me. When I try to “add to calculator” nothing changes for the default breed. That’s part of why I landed on just asking.

It kind of sounds like the white crested black hen with the golden laced are just going to produce kinda boring chicks. We didn’t get them for breeding (probably obvious), but I figure it’s only a matter of time before somehow somebody manages to hatch an egg, especially if we add more that group (they live with a golden penciled Hamburg). The other group is easy as the accidental rooster there is a silver laced Wyandotte and the females are the same or standard Ameraucanas.

Looks like according to Google a candy corn polish is a Crele, and I believe Tolbunts are made via the frizzle genes so ideally you do not want to mix two frizzles together.

I assume that if you mix a white crested with a color crested you'd lose that nice white crest and probably get something more mottled between color and white but I'm not sure.

What color are your white crested ladies? Using Henks chicken calculator, it would appear a gold laced rooster with a chocolate or black hen would produce all black offspring, whereas if it's a blue hen you'll get black offspring and some blues with some lacing. (This is for gold laced rooster, not a buff laced btw :D I've heard people used 'gold' interchangeably between the two colors, a buff laced rooster with either of these 3 common colors would make all white chicks I believe)

Gold laced boy with a Crele hen would make not 'true' colors, the chicks should be gold with black patterning, with some lacing on pullets and some barring on cockerels.

http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

Here's the calculator if you want to give it a shot in checking out your birds, pictures would also help :D

Oooo are they Easter Eggers or purebred Ameraucana from a breeder? Easter Eggers can have some fun Genes! :D

And bummer about the polish pairing but it's just how it goes sometimes :/ a lot of the mixes we've gotten are solid buff, red or black xD not as exciting as others haha

Oooo are they Easter Eggers or purebred Ameraucana from a breeder? Easter Eggers can have some fun Genes! :D

It’s a bit of a question. We’re first time chicken owners, so we went in a little blinder than I thought. We thought we were getting the Ameraucanas and the Wyandottes from a breeder, but it turned out she had just gotten them from a hatchery and was reselling without really informing. She was selling Ameraucanas AND Easter Eggers, so...maybe the hatchery was selling the real deal or maybe they were falsely labeled as I’ve heard is often true with hatcheries. They have gotten tufts and maybe are getting beards. I’m not 100% sure yet.

What color are they? True Ameraucana come in only a few colors whereas EEs come in literally everything :D

I’m attaching pictures, because I’m not even sure what color you’d call them. That’s also why I’m a little suspicious that they’re not TRUE Ameraucana, but maybe I just haven’t found the right pictures for the color.

77E211CC-257C-4138-8B7C-802D541B7793.jpeg
E7932E4B-B346-4902-B724-69F9D8BE9CEE.jpeg
4C4ED395-656E-4FD7-B377-2DD1CA73EA60.jpeg

The closest seems to be the Silver, and they looked exactly like Silver Ameraucana chicks, but their coloring at this point isn’t super convincing. 😂 End of the day, they’re healthy and should hopefully still be good layers, so it’s not the end of the world. I am going to be a little bummed if they’re Easter Eggers that don’t actually lay blue eggs though.

Back
Top Bottom