Mixing Species

TMarie

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2013
My family and I dream of having a small farm. We still have to buy land and a ton of research to do. I imagine us with 2 of each animal so they have companions. But I love the idea of keeping them all on one large pasture. With their own houses. And large barn.We already have chickens. We want guinea hens and geese and peacocks, Goats, Juliana pigs, and possibly miniature horse and miniature cow, alpacas and/or llamas. I realize feed would be different and parasites may cross over. So which animals could we mix to get the most species in one area. I'm even open to animals that might not be listed above.

My family and I dream of having a small farm. We still have to buy land and a ton of research to do. I imagine us with 2 of each animal so they have companions. But I love the idea of keeping them all on one large pasture. With their own houses. And large barn.We already have chickens. We want guinea hens and geese and peacocks, Goats, Juliana pigs, and possibly miniature horse and miniature cow, alpacas and/or llamas. I realize feed would be different and parasites may cross over. So which animals could we mix to get the most species in one area. I'm even open to animals that might not be listed above.
First you sound like me 😆 we are currently looking for more property and bigger house second your flock birds can all go together pigs really need there own space goats horse's alpacas and cows are all grazing animals and can be kept together right now i have chickens, ducks, guineas and bunnies together in my main coop quail in there own and a batchler coop for rescued/rehomed roosters, dogs cats frogs fish crayfish and my mom just got my daughter turtles 6of them for her birthday when we finally find a bigger home and property we will be getting peacocks emu pigs pygmy goats turkeys geese my current flock is crazy mixed-up I have so many different breeds

First you sound like me 😆 we are currently looking for more property and bigger house second your flock birds can all go together pigs really need there own space goats horse's alpacas and cows are all grazing animals and can be kept together right now i have chickens, ducks, guineas and bunnies together in my main coop quail in there own and a batchler coop for rescued/rehomed roosters, dogs cats frogs fish crayfish and my mom just got my daughter turtles 6of them for her birthday when we finally find a bigger home and property we will be getting peacocks emu pigs pygmy goats turkeys geese my current flock is crazy mixed-up I have so many different breeds
Thank you for the response! Yes that sounds about right 😆 We're currently in a subdivision that luckily allows chickens. We have 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, a gecko, 5 chickens, and 15 quail. We've outgrown suburbia lol I'd love to keep the rabbits in the pasture too so that's good to know! Why do you think the pigs should be separate? The ones we want to get should be very small (40-90lbs) and we want to try keeping them indoors but I want the barn prepared first in case that backfires lol.
Emu?! 😍😍 I looked into those a while back because I'm in love with their eggs. All the videos make them look so sweet but the fact they could disembowel people freaks me out 😬 Will you be keeping them with all the others? What's a batchler coop?

Thank you for the response! Yes that sounds about right 😆 We're currently in a subdivision that luckily allows chickens. We have 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, a gecko, 5 chickens, and 15 quail. We've outgrown suburbia lol I'd love to keep the rabbits in the pasture too so that's good to know! Why do you think the pigs should be separate? The ones we want to get should be very small (40-90lbs) and we want to try keeping them indoors but I want the barn prepared first in case that backfires lol.
Emu?! 😍😍 I looked into those a while back because I'm in love with their eggs. All the videos make them look so sweet but the fact they could disembowel people freaks me out 😬 Will you be keeping them with all the others? What's a batchler coop?
Pigs big or small will literally eat anything including other animals but i guess if they grow up together they would be ok i personally just wouldn't take the risk Emu if handled frequently are the sweetest i had them as a kid and loved them our one Nutso was the sweetest silliest bird ever i named her Nutso cause she would be all by herself in the middle of the field just turning in circles and stop and stumble around and then do it again it was so funny and yes they will stay with the rest of them . Your last question a batchlor coop is a full flock of roosters i take in rehomed roosters the ones that people can keep or don't want or are causing problems with the rest of there flock I built them there own coop because I have 8roos in my main coop already that all grew up together and King Rooroo our head rooster was not very welcoming so I built them there own coop I have to show you now King Rooroo is a bantam rooster and the smallest rooster i have and i didnt want him to get hurt
20200901_182951.jpg

This is King Rooroo and his 2 favorite girls bantams Cookie and Itty-bitty .
20200901_175210.jpg
20200901_174926.jpg

These are two of my newest rescued roo's Colonel Sanders and Chick Norus they are literally 4x his size so i have them separated

Last edited:
They're beautiful!! I would love to do a rescue like that 😍 I'd have to study an emus temperament I suppose. Like if raised to be sweet, can they have bad days? Do they have triggers? Are there warning signs? And they get along with all the other animals? They seem so sweet in the videos and their eggs are just gorgeous!!

thanks I currently have 12roosters in my batchlor coop it is a lot of fun to watch there different personalities and so funny because they are different breeds but they all get along great and most of them came from different homes and emus are easiest to control there temperament if you hatch them yourself peacocks to i loved my peacocks and emu growing up with ours Nutso (emu) and Bluey (peacock) if you layed in the field they would come lay with me and use me for a pillow I would nap in the field just so I could take a nap with them

Attachments

• 20200901_175230.jpg
    20200901_175230.jpg
    741.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200901_175210.jpg
    20200901_175210.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200901_175140.jpg
    20200901_175140.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200901_175129.jpg
    20200901_175129.jpg