mixing standard and bantam chicks?

Countrymama719

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 20, 2011
Fort Wayne, In
Soooo... I'm having chick spring fever! I currently have 4, 1 1/2 week old mallards in one brooder box (more stinky then cute at this point lol) and 3, two week old white silkies brooding in another. I'm using large plastic storage bins by the way.

Now onto craigslist today, and a local feed store posted they have 3 1/2 week old silver wyandottes pullets, and they've caught my eye =] Problem is I only have two boxes and 2 lamps/feeders ect. Would they be ok with the silkies? I could also set them up a corner in the coop but again I don't have an extra lamp or electricity out there so not sure that's the best idea.

**** all of these cute spring chicks! haha In my defense I have a huge coop, acres for them to roam and only 11 hens to 2 roosters, so I need to up my hen to rooster ratio. Right??!?

I Have introduced Differant breeds from different places at different times sometimes they just seem like they were meant to go together and other times I had to remove one from the other Quickly as they started Fighting profusley .. If You Do not have another safe space I would Definately wait . Also I hope you are adding some bedding or hay or something to your Storage Bins .. AS I Heard too smoothe of a surface can cause problems with Thier feet or walking or something can't quite remember .. But I do remember reading that lol I am getting Old I guess .. Wishing you The Very Best .. I Will just add I once added the same age Duck and chicks together .. The little Duck only a Baby Grabbed up The Poor chick by one Leg and started Thrashing the Heck out of her luckily I was right there to grab it... I Had twc Chicks same Hatching one was so Agessive I couldnt keep them together.. Just my two cents and past experience.. Enjoy your Flock : )

Thanks for the input, ya there is shavings in the containers, ducks are just making a mess with a water lol

And about the ducks and chicks, I was cleaning one container figuring I could through them in the same tub for 5 minutes and switch them out and one of the ducks started pecking or whatever at the chick! I too was pretty shocked how aggressive they already were, but I was standing right there and then had to figure out a different way to change them out haha

ya maybe I'll give them another week and see if they still have them. At that point I hope the ducks have some feathers and can be moved to an outside enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom