Mixing them up

I've never had chickens before but I think that may be too much of a difference for integrating anytime soon . Also what breed are they? That can make a difference as well.

Last edited:
As long as they are close in size and fully feathered - merging them can take place anytime. You should do a side=by=side time where they can see and hear each other but not get to each other so they can get used to one another. Maybe for a couple of weeks. Then put them all together on the roost at night or in the same coop and see how things go. Be prepared to intercede in the morning if need be - but most likely they will be fine. There will be some pecking because they'll have to set a pecking order - but that is to be expected.
smile.png

Little trick I have found that helps is putting the new ones in at night while the others are roosting, when they wake up it's kinda like they were already there, of course your still going to have some pecking from dominant hens, but it does help, good luck!

Don't the two new chickens need to be quarantened? Everything I read on BYC says NOT to put new chickens in with the current stock in case they are carrying a disease, which would then infect the chickens you already have. By quarantineing (spelling?) in a separate area away from your chickens, you will see within 2-3 weeks if they get sick or not. Then if you are in doubt of just putting them in with your other chickens because you think they might not get along, you might put the new chickens in a kennel or an area by the already set up chicken run so all the chickens can see each other for a few days or so. Then put them together.

I've had them seperated for 2 weeks now and they are fine, now I out them in the coop with the others buy they are still separated til they are the same size then we'll see what happens
smile.png

Quote:
I did the same thing combining my mature hens with a large flock of pullets (29 pullets vs 3 hens), however I put the hens into the coop with the pullets at night and retrieved them in the morning. There was alot of pecking so I had to take them out early in the morning. It took until the flock of pullets were similar in size for them all to finally get along, but it took almost 5-6 weeks for them to get there. In the beginning, I only allowed an hour or two of interaction, then I allowed them to forage together. They didn't mingle together until about two weeks ago, while foraging out in the yard.

Although, I have had an instance of introducing two additional hens to a flock of 8 hens...one month after getting the 8 hens. They never got along! I had to give the two reds to a friend because I felt guilty they were getting pecked & their feathers were being plucked. The reds were quite a bit smaller than the other 8 hens, so maybe was why they were getting picked on.

I think it depends on the breed of chickens, the size/age, and the number of chickens being introduced vs #in current flock.

Quote:
I would check the newly acquired chickens for mites. Our flock was affected with mites after we purchased additional hens..not knowing they were carrying mites. There is nothing like a mite infestation! I cleaned the coop with a shovel and burned the shavings and then hosed off outside to get all the mites off me! Prior to that everytime I went into the coop to collect eggs, I was attacked by mites. The suggestion from the local grain place was wash the inside of the coop with Poultry protector (spraying every inch of the coop) then to dust all new shavings with Seven and spray all the chickens with Poultry Protector (all natural enzyme wash) for two weeks. Believe me its not fun to chase 11 chickens and have them fight me while trying to spray them head to toe with the cleanser! When we added one more chicken (after the mite problem was gone), I proactively sprayed the new chicken (according to the bottle directions) while under quarrentine for 2-3 weeks...no mites were transferred
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom