MJ's Challenge ~ The Voyage Out

Pics
I needed this reminder, thanks friendo :)

I think I'll crack on with chapter 4 this weekend.
Me too. I'm trying to hang onto the threads as we go. If we can read over the weekends we have a week to mull & post. I hope that works for everyone.

I needed this reminder, thanks friendo :)
I admit to cheating as Woolfe devotes an entire book to Mrs Dalloway so I looked up a synopsis & it would seem not all is as serene as it would appear in the Dalloway household ~ though Woolfe may not explore that in this book. So far, despite her superficialities, I find her the only really likeable character. The men are infuriating. 😆

Me too. I'm trying to hang onto the threads as we go. If we can read over the weekends we have a week to mull & post. I hope that works for everyone.
I like this idea. It will give me time to digest a chapter.
I admit to cheating as Woolfe devotes an entire book to Mrs Dalloway so I looked up a synopsis & it would seem not all is as serene as it would appear in the Dalloway household ~ though Woolfe may not explore that in this book. So far, despite her superficialities, I find her the only really likeable character. The men are infuriating. 😆
They really are! :barnie

Mr Dalloway's patronising allusions to sex were the absolute end. I can just see him @ his club being terribly crass ~ no wonder the Victorian & Edwardian women suffered from * the vapours!* I can forgive Woolfe for pussyfooting around given what was actually publishable back in the day, but not Mr Dalloway who is old enough to be Rachel's father & really should have known better.

Mr Dalloway's patronising allusions to sex were the absolute end. I can just see him @ his club being terribly crass ~ no wonder the Victorian & Edwardian women suffered from * the vapours!* I can forgive Woolfe for pussyfooting around given what was actually publishable back in the day, but not Mr Dalloway who is old enough to be Rachel's father & really should have known better.
It's so extreme to a 2021 reader that it almost comes of as a farcical. I felt mostly indignant but I also wanted to laugh at him.

It's so extreme to a 2021 reader that it almost comes of as a farcical. I felt mostly indignant but I also wanted to laugh at him.
This sort of thing is very difficult to read in context of the times & given the exposure of sexual misconduct in so many *reputable* places. He was so pompous I could have hit him. 🙄

This sort of thing is very difficult to read in context of the times & given the exposure of sexual misconduct in so many *reputable* places. He was so pompous I could have hit him. 🙄
That's a very good point. It has been a very sombre news week wrt sexual violence.

I am in the middle of Chapter IV and getting more into the swing of it. To me they currently all seem to be quite unattractive people in the sense of being so snobby and critical of others. But I am increasingly reading it as more of a satire about the social constraints and norms. That may be a wrong reading but it is helping me not get exasperated with them all!

Back
Top Bottom