MJ's Challenge ~ The Voyage Out

Pics
I think she's an accomplished socialite, by which I mean she knows how to talk to anyone but doesn't always show her true self. She's also a great friend of her husband's and he is her friend, and this contrasts with Helen and Ambrose who are at best ambivalent/ingratiating towards each other.
Yes. This is so. I get frustrated with the inanities. It leaves the important things unsaid. Interesting that you picked up on the differences between the marriages. 🤔

Do you think there's something beneath the surface of Helen and Ambrose's marriage?
We may find out more further along, but I got the impression that they have very different and separate roles in the marriage. Helen is all about the children and household management and Mr Ambrose is just into his work and books. They don't appear to any common interests whereas Mrs Dalloway takes an active interest in her husband's work and helps further his career.

Just read through all the comments and feel I’m in over my head already 😅 I’m more of a charging reader and not so much time spent analysing but that’s because I have no one to share thoughts with I guess. This will be good for me, someone who has no idea about this time period/writers, who spent her teenage years reading an older brothers Ben Elton novels and someone who reads a lot of fantasy now but needs to slow down and think about what an author might be meaning in what they have written.
Thanks, I’ll start soon and catch up 😁
I'm so glad you joined! You and I are in the same corner. I'm definitely in over my head, but I'm loving it! 💗

Good morning! I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on chapter 3. I'm going to try & read it again today...I didn't have much time to contemplate it over the weekend.
I do agree that the two marriages are quite different!
When I read this on, I believe last Thursday, I came away feeling that Mrs. Dalloway was very critical of others. I do need to read it again, now that you have all opened my eyes a little wider...😊

Just read through all the comments and feel I’m in over my head already 😅 I’m more of a charging reader and not so much time spent analysing but that’s because I have no one to share thoughts with I guess. This will be good for me, someone who has no idea about this time period/writers, who spent her teenage years reading an older brothers Ben Elton novels and someone who reads a lot of fantasy now but needs to slow down and think about what an author might be meaning in what they have written.
Thanks, I’ll start soon and catch up 😁
You will be ahead of me in hours. I had a slow start but mid chapter 3 I am getting into it a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom