MJ's Challenge ~ The Voyage Out

Pics
What is the Hard Book for the book club?
The bookclub reads books on AI and ethics and this book is Technology and the virtues by Shannon Vallor. She synthesises technomoral virtues from consistencies in the Aristotlean, Buddhist and Confucian cultural-moral practices/traditions. I don't have a grounding in philosophy, so the hefty bits are hard going for me, but I relish the learning and the hope she constructs.

Anyway, she's teaching me to find relief in ham-fisted but exploratory first novels :gig

The bookclub reads books on AI and ethics and this book is Technology and the virtues by Shannon Vallor. She synthesises technomoral virtues from consistencies in the Aristotlean, Buddhist and Confucian cultural-moral practices/traditions. I don't have a grounding in philosophy, so the hefty bits are hard going for me, but I relish the learning and the hope she constructs.

Anyway, she's teaching me to find relief in ham-fisted but exploratory first novels :gig
Glad it's you & not me. I don't do well with things like relative philosophy. I think I'm too pragmatic & have little faith in people ever doing the right thing just because it's right. Kudos to you for going there.

When I asked the question I vaguely thought, MJ seems like she would read interesting stuff so maybe I will read it too.
That definitely sounds too hard for me!

Glad it's you & not me. I don't do well with things like relative philosophy. I think I'm too pragmatic & have little faith in people ever doing the right thing just because it's right. Kudos to you for going there.
There were five of us chatting about it last night, sharing our favourite quotes and insights. Next month's book is called deepfakes and someone else will lead the talk. I have a feeling it will be an easier read.

But first I'll catch up on the voyage out.

Ah well, I didn't start the book club, I joined it about 8 months in and I've done just over a year's reading with them. The man who started it did so as a follow up to the work he undertook while on his Churchill scholarship. He's now a data scientist working with health data, so he's very thoughtful about ethics. Everyone in the bookclub is in one way or another.

When I asked the question I vaguely thought, MJ seems like she would read interesting stuff so maybe I will read it too.
That definitely sounds too hard for me!
I decided some time ago MJ is far too clever for me. ;) Besides having zero interest in philosophical conversations. I find they go round & round & end nowhere. :(

Do I take it everything went well & you had no trouble leading?
No trouble at all. Everyone contributed thoughts and observations, we explored a few tangential concepts, and we saw Vallor's work echoing through some of the other books we'd read lately (which is what you'd expect really). We surfaced what I think is a meaningful critique. So it was beneficial for everyone who participated. We were really pleased one very young woman joined us and shared her views!

Back
Top Bottom