MJ's little flock

That's right and the corners are braced but not with anything you can see in the photos. Instead they're braced with heavy duty elbows.

If these ever fail they'll be replaced, maybe with American style bracing with timber.

View attachment 2735028
Oh! Clever stuff. That should do it. Sorry, wasn't meaning to meddle, but it is all so lovely I didn't want you to get frustrated if it sagged as those are nice big doors.

So, bearing in mind the tidying up starts on Saturday, here are a few snaps. Nothing in the run is in its permanent position yet. It's all still jumbled.

I took this one while standing beside the pergola. The clothesline and the concrete to the left will eventually be removed. You can see the pop door open and the wide doors open on the right

View attachment 2732560

In this photo, I've walked forward and turned to the right and you can see the wide half doors open and the puppy play pen panels across the front of the jacaranda. I did that so the hens could become accustomed to using the pop door, which they have, so tomorrow morning I'm going to try shepherding them through the pop door instead of the big doors. This will be a big change for them because they've been using the big doors since January. Maybe the pop door gives you a sense of perspective? Mary is quite tall, up to my knee, and she gets through it easily.

View attachment 2732561

In this snap, you're looking through the big doors at the little coop where folks lay their eggs, an old bin on its side (potential nest but no one uses it), and a pile of big logs and tree stumps in the back corner.

View attachment 2732565

Remember, nothing is in it's proper place yet.

In this shot, you've moved into the run and can see the old tables that provide some shelter from the Sun and rain.

View attachment 2732566

In this snap, I've rotated to the left and you can see both tables and the far left corner of the run. That's the corner where the roost will eventually be located

View attachment 2732568

In this one, the pop door is visible on the left and the big coop beyond the run. And my seat!! The upturned milk crate.

View attachment 2732567

Next photo, I'm standing in the front left corner, looking past the milk crate and tables at the back of the run. The top left corner of the run is where the roost will be

View attachment 2732569

Here, I've stepped forward and looked back across the little coop. You can also see a few more stumps and logs around the old tables for a little more privacy for the hens and a sense of security.

View attachment 2732570

In this one, I'm in the corner where the roost will be. You can see an old laundry basket on its side. That's another potential nest that nobody uses.

View attachment 2732571

Lastly, I'm in the back right corner of the run, looking at where the roost will be. In this photo you get a sense of the space between the run and the back fence. This space will prevent the terrier who lives over the fence from digging into the run. It will be paved eventually.

View attachment 2732572

And that's all for now!
Wow! This is really nice!

Oh! Clever stuff. That should do it. Sorry, wasn't meaning to meddle, but it is all so lovely I didn't want you to get frustrated if it sagged as those are nice big doors.
I'm with you, sagging is not welcome. Hopefully those elbows will hold up for a few years.

So far, so good, although the wildbirds are creeping under. That's not a long term problem because I'll be having the apron paved to prevent foxes digging in. This weekend I'll place bricks around it at ground level, which I hope will stop the birds until I can get the paving guys booked in. For a change, I'm feeling grateful to the wildbirds for showing me where the weaknesses are.

Other than this, the hens have already learned to be confident going through the pop door. And I'm happy no hawks can grab them.

I can see myself drawn into many weekends of working on it and that's a very happy thought!
I love working on my complex. I find it very relaxing.

Back
Top Bottom