MJ's little flock

Here's an update on the changing egg market in Australia, which is transitioning to no battery cages at all. In a few years there'll be no such thing as an ex-batt in Australia. Of course eggs will become more expensive, but maybe eggs should be viewed as a treat. I'll think about how best to distribute excess eggs from the hens. I might be able to donate them to one of the halfway houses in the neighbourhood.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06...ed-on-shift-from-cage-to-free-range/102474282
In the USA organizations like the halfway house or a food bank cannot accept eggs that have not been subject to FDA inspection and the processing that requires. I could not donate our excess if I wanted to do so. I hope you do not run into a similar restriction.

In the USA organizations like the halfway house or a food bank cannot accept eggs that have not been subject to FDA inspection and the processing that requires. I could not donate our excess if I wanted to do so. I hope you do not run into a similar restriction.
That's a shame but understandable

Just following up on my earlier post about Joyce's appointment to say Mark didn't charge for it. He makes that choice so often, it's almost a non-event. The surgery itself was expensive of course: all those people using all that expertise and all those drugs and all that equipment. But when he only needs a moment to examine a hen, he often does it for free. What a gent.
We love Dr Mark! :wee

Here's an update on the changing egg market in Australia, which is transitioning to no battery cages at all. In a few years there'll be no such thing as an ex-batt in Australia. Of course eggs will become more expensive, but maybe eggs should be viewed as a treat. I'll think about how best to distribute excess eggs from the hens. I might be able to donate them to one of the halfway houses in the neighbourhood.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06...ed-on-shift-from-cage-to-free-range/102474282
I love the little photo-bomber! :lau

8DFF2E30-C2DF-42AF-A292-F87E22A79F56.png

Now that the hens are skilled treadle operators, I'm going to transition to treadle feeders only because all the other feeders at my house can be used by sparrows or mice or snails. I won't throw the other feeders away though. They might come in handy one day.

I think another two treadle feeders will cover future needs.

Back
Top Bottom