MJ's little flock

Phew, finally caught up. Happy belated birthday MJ for a week or so ago, and I'm sorry to hear you caught Covid. I hope you are starting to feel much better soon. I'm glad your renos are on the way too.

My friends, I'm sad to say I think that I am just about at the end of my chicken journey. Angel appears to have a respiratory infection; she has been wheezing and had a hard moult. Hubby said he thought it happened overnight. She's only just over a year old so she should not be sick. I think there must be something toxic about my environment but I haven't been able to discern what it is. I haven't had the soil tested because I don't know what to test for. There are many wild birds in our back yard, so if it's them bringing in avian viruses, I can't control that.

She's been on the Triple C broad spectrum antibiotic for the last couple of days and I will keep it going until I finish the batch, which will be longer than a week. Whilst it might clear up what is going on now, it will probably return because I don't know what the cause is. I can't give them away in case it's infectious, so I think I'm going to have to manage them until the end, which is probably going to be sooner than later. Snowy is broody now, although apart from that she seems to be fine and if she ends up on her own, she's actually pretty happy with her own company. But she's a sweetheart and it makes me sad that she will probably succumb to whatever is making my girls sick. My lovely henhouse will become a garden shed as I just can't do this anymore. But I still want to hang out with my chicken friends as I think you all are some of the most awesome people I have met.
Well done Lozzy. The fewer people that keep chickens in the majority of the conditions I see and read about the better. Very few people have the proper combination of climate, predator load, forage, etc for a chicken to live a natural lfe and thrive.
Most of the breeds that are common for backyard flocks wouldn't even exist if people didn't order them from hatcheries and breeders. It's not like we are reducing the overall species suffering by keeping these birds.

You've done well by them. Let them go in their own time and put what effort you did into their keeping, into pushing the industry to constantly improve the lot of the chickens that are bred for meat and eggs.

Well done Lozzy. The fewer people that keep chickens in the majority of the conditions I see and read about the better. Very few people have the proper combination of climate, predator load, forage, etc for a chicken to live a natural lfe and thrive.
Most of the breeds that are common for backyard flocks wouldn't even exist if people didn't order them from hatcheries and breeders. It's not like we are reducing the overall species suffering by keeping these birds.

You've done well by them. Let them go in their own time and put what effort you did into their keeping, into pushing the industry to constantly improve the lot of the chickens that are bred for meat and eggs.
Thanks Shad. Hope you’re feeling better.

Living her best chickeny life. She’s only got a couple more doses to go, we’re both over it. Broody Snowy on the other hand is not looking after herself. :rolleyes:
Is she in the first few days of brooding? Maybe she's doing ok with fewer meals and drinks?

I've been sliding Mary out of the laundry basket nest every day at dinner time to reassure myself she's doing ok with all the rain and to steal eggs from her. She takes it in her stride. She starts talking, stands, takes a deep breath, shakes, and goes looking for food. Such a darling.

I suspended cold n flu medication yesterday and the symptoms are much heavier today. There's a seriously painful headache, some coughing/congestion, and fever. So I'll keep myself in isolation for the time being.

Seven positive tests in a row.

IMG_2023-12-12-07-53-09-011.jpg

I expect today's will be positive too.

I suspended cold n flu medication yesterday and the symptoms are much heavier today. There's a seriously painful headache, some coughing/congestion, and fever. So I'll keep myself in isolation for the time being.

Seven positive tests in a row.

View attachment 3703246

I expect today's will be positive too.
Why do you test every day MJ?
Why not just wait until you feel better?

Back
Top Bottom