MJ's little flock

The heatwave continues today but it's not excruciatingly high temps, only 40ish. The humidity was hard to take yesterday. Perhaps today will be drier.

I put two esky ice blocks under the roosting perch and from the volume of poops that landed on them, I'm thinking they were a hit.

The hens don't seem shattered this morning like they usually do in a heatwave. Here are Christa and Katie tanking up while Edie looks on.

Can you share what they look like? I am not familiar.
I haven't washed them yet. Excuse the poop! I was expecting to find no poop on them this morning because find the blocks a little strange, so I'm delighted two hens sat above the blocks long enough to drop a few poops.

IMG_2024-03-10-07-53-19-195.jpg

I haven't washed them yet. Excuse the poop! I was expecting to find no poop on them this morning because find the blocks a little strange, so I'm delighted two hens sat above the blocks long enough to drop a few poops.

View attachment 3768012
Ice bricks… a godsend! I’ve got skinny lunch-bag ones that sometimes go in the waterer.

Today won't be as hot as it has been the last few days, but the heatwave warning remains. A forecast high of 33 is not very hot at all really.

Screenshot_20240312-074233.png

The hens will appreciate the cooler weather.

I worry about the old lady in the heat, but aside from a case of the runs, which I put down to excessive water consumption, and a slower appetite, she's doing well.

IMG_2024-03-12-07-45-21-569.jpg

She eats a lot in the morning, but not much during the heat of the day.

IMG_2024-03-12-07-48-11-472.jpg

Back
Top Bottom