MJ's little flock

Do you have deer netting? Very light-weight and relatively inexpensive. Can be strung from poles and I found keeps the birds in just fine even at only 5’ because it is too flimsy for them to land on. Of course it doesn’t protect them from any predators but it does keep them contained.
I don't have deer netting.

I could get some bird netting, but I'd rather get a fence.

Got a picture?:)
Here is a closer photo of Daisys bottom, it looks like there are feathers trying to come through but they are not
IMG_7032.JPG
IMG_7032.JPG

Here is a closer photo of Daisys bottom, it looks like there are feathers trying to come through but they are notView attachment 2027485View attachment 2027485
How long has her bum been like this? I know it can takes ages for feathers to grow back. I had a broody do a right job on a couple of mine & I'm still waiting on their feathers growing back.

Here is a closer photo of Daisys bottom, it looks like there are feathers trying to come through but they are notView attachment 2027485View attachment 2027485
Not wishing to state the obvious but that is one sore arse.
I would say that someone is plucking the feathers, be it her or another. If she produces quill stumps then the potential for feather growth is there.
Sometimes such irritations are caused by uric acid (the white in their poop) coming into contact with their skin. This can cause the chicken to pick at the feather shafts and create further sore patches.
In the short term I would apply some Calandula cream to her bum first thing in the morning and last thing at night after cleaning with water infused with the herb Thyme.
I think you should be able to find the above in France.

Ivy continues to escape from the yard. The fence is no detterent, it's too low in places.

Clipping her wing feathers is cheap but I don't like the thought of depriving her of flight. A fence is expensive.

What would you do?
I would never clip a birds feathers. I've seen nothing that would lead me to believe it stops them trying to fly and often they end up either frustrated or injured from trying to do what they know they should be able to.

I would never clip a birds feathers. I've seen nothing that would lead me to believe it stops them trying to fly and often they end up either frustrated or injured from trying to do what they know they should be able to.
Ivy saw me emerge from the house 20 minutes ago and put herself back in the yard. Clever chicken. I'm grateful.

But I'd rather get a tall fence that Ivy can't fly over in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom