MJ's little flock

Ivy continues to escape from the yard. The fence is no detterent, it's too low in places.

Clipping her wing feathers is cheap but I don't like the thought of depriving her of flight. A fence is expensive.

What would you do?
You know what I do. :lol: I spend a lot of time popping chooks back over the fence. For what it's worth, mine only fence hop 1st & last thing @ foraging times. They are content to stay in their area during the day. What does Ivy do?

You know what I do. :lol: I spend a lot of time popping chooks back over the fence. For what it's worth, mine only fence hop 1st & last thing @ foraging times. They are content to stay in their area during the day. What does Ivy do?
She's an explorer. She hops any time of day and each time she goes further afield. She hasn't gone all the way into the front garden yet, but she's come close.

This is what I mean when I say Mary's a good captain. Ivy is napping at Mary's haunches while Peggy is two steps away.

IMG_20200216_104655.jpg

Ivy continues to escape from the yard. The fence is no detterent, it's too low in places.

Clipping her wing feathers is cheap but I don't like the thought of depriving her of flight. A fence is expensive.

What would you do?

Here's the issue. Clipping her wings may not work. They can fly with clipped wings. They adjust and still zip around. If you only clip one side they will spin the first couple of times but somehow mine have always adjusted and in a little while were flying again.

I love my 6 foot fence and would consider doing that. I consider it to be priceless.

As an interim cheaper step you can try clipping her wings and see how she reacts. Remember they also grow back over time so keep checking them if you do choose to clip.

I'll get some quotes for a fence. Maybe it won't be as expensive as I fear.
Do you have deer netting? Very light-weight and relatively inexpensive. Can be strung from poles and I found keeps the birds in just fine even at only 5’ because it is too flimsy for them to land on. Of course it doesn’t protect them from any predators but it does keep them contained.

Do you have deer netting? Very light-weight and relatively inexpensive. Can be strung from poles and I found keeps the birds in just fine even at only 5’ because it is too flimsy for them to land on. Of course it doesn’t protect them from any predators but it does keep them contained.

That does work. It's not the most attractive thing but it works.

Back
Top Bottom