MJ's little flock

I was thinking of doing an article on Alice's moult since it was such a hard one. Both for my own edification and for anyone who might want to know how long a moult takes and how feathers grow.
That would be an excellent idea. Especially for new chicken keepers.

Here's a comparison of Alice's moult

31st March
Not much in the way of moulting. Only a bald patch from feather pecking (hence the pink spray on the tail)
View attachment 2153425

7th April. This was a few days after she dropped the first couple of feathers. Then the rest fell off overnight!View attachment 2153401

11th April
View attachment 2153414

21st April
View attachment 2153403

27th April
View attachment 2153423

So though it felt like forever while it was happening it only took about 20 days to go from mostly bald to almost completely covered again even though there were still pin feathers opening up for a while.
Oh you should have warned me. I had to close my eyes all over again!

I was thinking of doing an article on Alice's moult since it was such a hard one. Both for my own edification and for anyone who might want to know how long a moult takes and how feathers grow.
I think that would be a great idea - I learned a lot even though I couldn't even look!

Definitely! It would be so educational for new chicken keepers. In time you could add a comparison to a hen going through a light moult.

Back
Top Bottom