MJ's little flock

I always thought that indicated trust, but close enough.
I think with cats it is just 'non-aggressor' so they calm down. Like chickens they are complex social animals.
I have not tried it with the Princesses but I certainly will. But tone of voice is definitely a thing with the chickens. They know my food call versus my 'just having a conversation here' voice.

I may be going waaaay out on a limb here but I think the chickens understand me when I use my eyes to communicate with them.

Wait, let me explain! If I look up at the sky, they relax and start grazing. If I look in their eyes then close and open my eyes slowly, they relax. I once put Mary to sleep by repeatedly miming sleepiness with my eyes.

Am I nuts or is this a thing??
I think it may be a thing. Exactly how it works I have no idea. I close my eyes a lot with the chickens, especially when checking over broody hens and chickens that are constrained in some way. It seems to help calm them. With the roosters now if I look directly at them they think I want to groom them; so I do.:)

I think this is a thing. For example in cats a slow closing and opening of the eyes indicates trust and will cause a cat to relax around you. I know that if my flock seems hyper alert but I walk over and look up, they come down and start grazing again as well. There is communication through body language.

Tone of voice as well. They don't speak English but I have seen my tone elicit different responses from alertness to relaxation.
Yup, agree about the tone of voice as well. When they've had a shake after a dust bath in the house which drives me mad and I order them out while I sweep up you can tell they go out muttering "Bucket Boy has gone into one again".:rolleyes:

Dear Janet is keeping some dinner on her beak for later on.

Screenshot_2020-06-04-17-00-00-11.png

Back
Top Bottom