MJ's little flock

I've been planning a big, covered chicken run. One day it will house a new open coop with roosts. For now, it will prevent wildbirds from eating chicken food and perhaps discourage the local hawks from attacking.

The tradies are going to build it for me early November.

It's a big U shape. That way I can easily partition into different sections if needs be.

The jacaranda is within the U, so there will be some natural shade and cover as it grows. The old tables and little coop will also give shade and cover. The little coop and old laundry basket will provide two large nests. In time it will be paved 1m deep all around so digging pests and predators can't get in.

Here's a very rough sketch, not to scale.

View attachment 2378175
I knew you had building plans - exciting that it will start soon. Willing to bet you will finish before I finish The Chicken Palace (you are more organized than I am I suspect!)

I knew you had building plans - exciting that it will start soon. Willing to bet you will finish before I finish The Chicken Palace (you are more organized than I am I suspect!)
Oh I doubt it! This will be years because I need to save up (or wait for the tax return) for each building phase.

That's the kind of walks I used to take, can't wait until I can again 😍
I don't do much of any other sort of walking these days. I used to walk or bicycle a lot not that many years ago. I am still a fast walker if I'm going from A to B but I get to notice much more by just meandering along.

Look what I got sent. I don't normally wear shirts but I think I'll be wearing this one.
PA170096.jpeg

I've been planning a big, covered chicken run. One day it will house a new open coop with roosts. For now, it will prevent wildbirds from eating chicken food and perhaps discourage the local hawks from attacking.

The tradies are going to build it for me early November.

It's a big U shape. That way I can easily partition into different sections if needs be.

The jacaranda is within the U, so there will be some natural shade and cover as it grows. The old tables and little coop will also give shade and cover. The little coop and old laundry basket will provide two large nests. In time it will be paved 1m deep all around so digging pests and predators can't get in.

Here's a very rough sketch, not to scale.

View attachment 2378175
That is so exciting MJ!!!! You have waited a long time for this!:ya

Look what I got sent. I don't normally wear shirts but I think I'll be wearing this one.
View attachment 2378232
lol My mother & OD are super fast walkers but all my friends prefer to walk with me because I see so much more than most people: I will spot nests & birds or wildlife the faster walkers miss. :D There's a lot to be said for meandering.

Looks nice and warm. What do you wear if you don't wear a shirt. Nothing would be a tad chilly no?
T~shirt or jersey probably. ;) I think we have one of those cultural miscommunications again. Shad probably means something with a collar when he refers to shirt...? :confused:

That is so exciting MJ!!!! You have waited a long time for this!:ya
I don't earn a fortune compared to others with my expertise, so big expenses always sit on the waitlist for a loooong time. This chicken run project almost has cobwebs haha :gig

Actually it's a blessing in disguise because I get such a lot of time to tweak my plans. It was only yesterday I thought of the U shape and already I know it's going to be such a valuable feature as the years pass and the flock goes through its changes.

Back
Top Bottom