Vets know best.
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Dec 24, 2018
Adelaide, South Australia
My Coop
My Coop
Hello good people of BYC :)

After months and months of telling my chicken stories on other people's pages, I've decided to make my own.

I'm a very inexperienced chicken keeper so I need all the help I can get! Your chat and advice will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hello good people of BYC :)

After months and months of telling my chicken stories on other people's pages, I've decided to make my own.

I'm a very inexperienced chicken keeper so I need all the help I can get! Your chat and advice will be much appreciated.
You did it!!!:frow:wee:clap:ya:yesss::caf

Mary

Mary is a black Australorp. She is the prettiest of my three chickens with iridescent black plumage and big black eyes that go blink-blink in a very charming way.

Favourite hobby: drinking. Mary is a waterholic.

Favourite saying: wohr-wohr

Rank: formerly Lieutenant, now Captain. Captain's rank was obtained by strategically using her weight, agility and determination to obtain the top spot on the roost from the disgraced former Captain, Janet.

Named after: Mary is named after Mary Kopscanyi. Mary Kopscanyi was my Nana's great-niece. Mary showed me kindness and love from the day I was born until the day she died. Her house is across the street from my house (both houses were built at the same time by the same person - my great-great uncle) but it is now owned by a lovely young family of four. Mary's house was built for her grandmother, Sarah, who was my grandmother's oldest sister. Tragically, Mary's mother died young, so Sarah provided Mary with a loving home and family life. Mary passed away quite suddenly in 2016, although she was well into her 80s. Her husband, Frank, died in 2017. They are both survived by their daughter Elizabeth who I don't call often enough. I'll call her today. Mary the chicken helps me keep Mary Kopscanyi's memory alive.

Screenshot_2019-07-28-08-53-15-34.png

For background, here are the other profiles.

Last edited:
Mary

Mary is a black Australorp. She is the prettiest of my three chickens with iridescent black plumage and big black eyes that go blink-blink in a very charming way.

Favourite hobby: drinking. Mary is a waterholic.

Rank: formerly Lieutenant, now Captain. Captain's rank was obtained by strategically using her weight, agility and determination to obtain the top spot on the roost from the disgraced former Captain, Janet.

View attachment 1922925

She is so pretty :love

Janet

Janet is a gold-laced "Barnevelder" - I use quotes because her legs aren't yellow and her eggs aren't brown. I'm pretty sure she's not a real Barnevelder, but that makes no difference to me. I bought her for $50 dollars as a pullet from a 12 year old chicken farmer :) it seemed like a lot to pay for a pullet, but I was delighted to support a youngster in his chickening. She was the first chicken to live in the new fox-proof coop. She moved in on Saturday October 20, 2018 and laid her first egg on Sunday October 21.

Favourite hobby: digging.

Second-favourite hobby: dust-bathing.

Favourite saying: peep-peep

Rank: Lieutenant (disgraced former Captain). Fought bravely and tenaciously to retain the top spot on the roost until one day Mary pushed her in just the right way and she fell off into the pine shavings below. Has not yet recovered from the embarrasment.

Named after: Janet is named after Mum. We lost our mum in 2000 from breast cancer. She was a complicated person, but we loved her. I don't have to tell anyone how special the relationship is between mother and children. You already know the story because it's just like your's: sometimes hard, mostly (mysteriously) lovely.

IMG20190328184632.jpg

For background, here are the other profiles.

Last edited:
Janet

Janet is a gold-laced "Barnevelder" - I use quotes because her legs aren't yellow and her eggs aren't brown. I'm pretty sure she's not a real Barnevelder, but that makes no difference to me.

Favourite hobby: digging.

Second-favourite hobby: dust-bathing.

Rank: Lieutenant (disgraced former Captain). Fought bravely and tenaciously to the top spot on the roost until one day Mary pushed her in just the right way and she fell off the roost. Has not yet recovered from the embarrasment.

Named after: Janet is named after Mum. We lost our mum in 2000 from breast cancer. She was a complicated person, but we loved her. I don't have to tell anyone how special the relationship is between mother and children. You already know the story because it's just like your's: sometimes hard, mostly (mysteriously) lovely.

View attachment 1922961
lol No wonder she is such an interesting & entertaining chook! :D

Back
Top Bottom