MJ's little flock

That saves a lot of typing then.:p
So, the next stage was. "I say, you're Bolshevik brother is an awfully handy chap. Do you think we could get him out here to take care of the place."
Yes, I admit it. I am related to one of them.View attachment 2080852
Don’t worry Shad, we don’t think worse of you. You can’t help being related. :lol::hugs

I went to the fodder store yesterday and one man bought four pullets.

It was quite funny because he looked at me like he'd bought the last roll of toilet paper, a little nasty and very smug.

I should've told him I've had chickens in my backyard since before coronavirus :)
I feel a bit concerned for those pullets now. I hope he knows how to take care of them :fl

Me too!

Janet the Barnevelder was a very good deal at $50aud.

For what it's worth @Shadrach, Janet is the only one I can handle, although Ivy is not too bad and may end up tamer then Janet. She reliably lays 3-4 generous size eggs a week.

She's also very robust and rarely gives me cauae for concern.

She's smart too and understands my role in keeping them safe. She'll do as I direct when unexpected things happen, whereas the other three are more susceptible to panic.

Afterthought: and she's never been broody.
There are two breeders that I know of in the UK that got their Barnvelders from The Netherlands and brought them to the UK. These are not the show style Barnvelders one tends to see here on BYC. There are a number of Barnvelder types around. These are slightly smaller than what has become the standard in the US and lay fewer eggs.
These are free range stock. A good quality adult from any breed can cost considerably more if you can find any and someone prepared to sell them.
If I had had an interest in breeding the Marans here for example, not only could I show they came from Marans in France, I could also show the chickens bred, rather than I bred them for particular attributes. To me, and to some others this is very important. You only need to read some of the breeding horror stories here on BYC to appreciate why.

Back
Top Bottom