MJ's little flock

What sweet chooks. Are they very young?

The run looks like it has lots of enrichment for them. Nice branches to perch on, gum leaves to dig through and, is that a lomandra (sword grass) to poke around in? 😍
(I genuinely have no idea what that bush is but yes it scratches)
We let them free range usually but when I go out I tend to leave them in.
Daisy, Annie and Ash are my young pullets. The other 4 are all my adults. Savvy has an injured foot so she limps around at the moment but she is getting better. She can put weight on it now she just flaps to run. We get heaps of red belly black snakes in the summer (we have actually only had two that have bothered the chickens. One killed a young silkie chick but the other one just attempted to kill one and stuck at one of my other hens, she was fine just in shock).

They are so adorable. That Ash reminds me of a certain hen @MaryJanet.

I have a real soft spot for hens named Daisy. :love
Haha yeah Daisy reminds me a lot of a hen I had (fox got her in the night by tearing the wire on the coop) her name was Dorothy, she was by far the smartest hen I have ever had. She knew when to hide and where to go when she had to hide. It just took her off the perch one night.

Haha yeah Daisy reminds me a lot of a hen I had (fox got her in the night by tearing the wire on the coop) her name was Dorothy, she was by far the smartest hen I have ever had. She knew when to hide and where to go when she had to hide. It just took her off the perch one night.
That's sad. Fox are dangerous creatures. How did you deal with it? They tend to come back.

We double wire the coops, put wire skirts on coops, have dogs and we used to have electric fence but then a tree branch crushed it.
That sounds like a good way to keep them at bay. They are so smart they scare me. I've been lucky not to have them here yet.

They are so adorable. That Ash reminds me of a certain hen @MaryJanet.

I have a real soft spot for hens named Daisy. :love
She's like Peggy :) except Ash looks like a full sized hen, or nearly.

I think Savvy is a handsome hen. I like Sussexes. I've been thinking of Sussexes for the next pair or trio of pullets in 2022.

Back
Top Bottom