MJ's little flock

Bear in mind that a chickens core body temp is 41C. If the ambient temp is above that it is impossible for them to transfer heat from their bodies to the environment.
Ice cubes etc will not help much in this condition and they need to be in deep shade ideally.
Thanks for the reminder Shad.

By the time the sun had moved, the henhouse was in the shade again. But until the trees grow, I don't have any places that are shady all day long.

Bear in mind that a chickens core body temp is 41C. If the ambient temp is above that it is impossible for them to transfer heat from their bodies to the environment.
Ice cubes etc will not help much in this condition and they need to be in deep shade ideally.
Air conditioning! You need to put air conditioning in the coop!

I
That is an impressive temperature difference. 32C is under 90F which is hot, but a routine temperature here in the summer so I have some appreciation of that.
I'll just mention that the thermometer is mounted quite high and it was noticeably cooler around my ankles at chicken height.

Air conditioning! You need to put air conditioning in the coop!
A misting system is an evaporative air-conditioner, same as a waterfall.

I'm a bit sketchy on the details (high school chemistry was a long time ago) but iirc, as the mist dries up (that is, as it converts to steam and floats away) it's using up the heat in its environment, making the environment cooler. This is why you feel cool even after you come out of the swimming pool in summer.

Last edited:
A misting system is an evaporative air-conditioner, same as a waterfall.

I'm a bit sketchy on the details (high school chemistry was a long time ago) but iirc, as the mist dries up (that is, as it converts to steam and floats away) it's using up the heat in its environment, making the environment cooler. This is why you feel cool even after you come out of the swimming pool in summer.
That is right. A surprisingly effective air conditioning system is to hang a wet towel in front of a fan - same principle, as the water evaporates it cools the room. Many years ago I survived a brutal summer with that as my air conditioning.

Back
Top Bottom