MJ's little flock

It was total curiosity, correct 👍🏻 they were bought from a farm nearby and if they turn out to be roosters she will take them back and replace them. They weren’t ordered as such, just a request for pullets and she’s given me what she thinks are.
I guess not having a vast flock of birds (which I very much wish I had the land and opportunity to do so) I am just excited having 2 newbies and that curiosity got me to post the question in here ☺
I’m sorry to have ruffled any feathers by doing so 🥺 I appreciate all your replies
You haven't ruffled any feathers.:love
I'm not very good at this internet communication business.
It's great you've found someone who will take them back if they don't turn out to be what you wanted and good luck with your flock.
Other than that, ignore me. You just happened to land on one of my soap boxes.:oops::D

You haven't ruffled any feathers.:love
I'm not very good at this internet communication business.
It's great you've found someone who will take them back if they don't turn out to be what you wanted and good luck with your flock.
Other than that, ignore me. You just happened to land on one of my soap boxes.:oops::D
I wouldn’t quite say no one’s feathers were upset. My emotional support rooster, Jaffar, read this post (and thinks I might take him back):thI WOULD NEVER!!!

:gig

It was total curiosity, correct 👍🏻 they were bought from a farm nearby and if they turn out to be roosters she will take them back and replace them. They weren’t ordered as such, just a request for pullets and she’s given me what she thinks are.
I guess not having a vast flock of birds (which I very much wish I had the land and opportunity to do so) I am just excited having 2 newbies and that curiosity got me to post the question in here ☺
I’m sorry to have ruffled any feathers by doing so 🥺 I appreciate all your replies
It’s all good, we banter. I just like poking @Shadrach from time to time. He has a different (and admirable) approach to keeping chickens than most of the BYC community. I am on a farm and also have a meat bird option, not all chicken keepers are as able to face that option. And sometimes it does matter, like when a little human gets attached to and names a whole bunch of cockerels (that even I can’t accommodate, especially the less well behaved ones). It’s hard telling a sweet little kid that that chick he loved is in the freezer for gender related issues. Thankfully the young one living here knows that we can’t keep all the boys, better than I do most times!

I filled a similar “pullet” request and the family got a stealth Rooster. I offered to take him back for a full year, constantly. They were a little leery because of their young daughter, but they kept him and are now very happy to have him. He alerted their dog to a raccoon attack in progress, is an Awesome Boy in all respects, but is still spurless and going on 2 years old this spring! He is great with his little human (though she is a bit afraid of one of the hens, who had a slightly aggressive feeding response to her attempts at hand feeding!)

Tsuki and Deana are having a little moult at the moment.

I came across a white flight feather with an odd looking shaft. I have never seen one like this before. It looks like the end has been dipped in wax.

Tsuki's weird feather with Deana's "normal" feather for comparison.
IMG20210102150427.jpg

IMG20210102150440.jpg

IMG20210102150620.jpg

Has anyone else ever seen a feather like this? Should I be worried?

Tsuki and Deana are having a little moult at the moment.

I came across a white flight feather with an odd looking shaft. I have never seen one like this before. It looks like the end has been dipped in wax.

Tsuki's weird feather with Deana's "normal" feather for comparison.
View attachment 2472269

View attachment 2472267

View attachment 2472268

Has anyone else ever seen a feather like this? Should I be worried?
I've seen lots of them here. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

I think that's the original feather shaft. I suspect it's like kids losing teeth. Sometimes the feathers come out clean, which means the new shaft likely pushes out the old and other times it comes out with the shaft.

There's no science in what I'm saying just what I've observed and think goes on.

I think that's the original feather shaft. I suspect it's like kids losing teeth. Sometimes the feathers come out clean, which means the new shaft likely pushes out the old and other times it comes out with the shaft.

There's no science in what I'm saying just what I've observed and think goes on.
How much of everything is like that though? Observations and Theory is the beginning of science! You just haven’t gone through all the other steps yet to prove or disprove the theory. We are all just grateful and happy to take experienced advice, even if it’s not “scientifically proven”

Thanks for the info Bob! and Goodmorning :frow

Back
Top Bottom