MJ's little flock

How much of everything is like that though? Observations and Theory is the beginning of science! You just haven’t gone through all the other steps yet to prove or disprove the theory. We are all just grateful and happy to take experienced advice, even if it’s not “scientifically proven”

Thanks for the info Bob! and Goodmorning :frow
:frow Good morning Kris, have a great day

It’s all good, we banter. I just like poking @Shadrach from time to time. He has a different (and admirable) approach to keeping chickens than most of the BYC community. I am on a farm and also have a meat bird option, not all chicken keepers are as able to face that option. And sometimes it does matter, like when a little human gets attached to and names a whole bunch of cockerels (that even I can’t accommodate, especially the less well behaved ones). It’s hard telling a sweet little kid that that chick he loved is in the freezer for gender related issues. Thankfully the young one living here knows that we can’t keep all the boys, better than I do most times!

I filled a similar “pullet” request and the family got a stealth Rooster. I offered to take him back for a full year, constantly. They were a little leery because of their young daughter, but they kept him and are now very happy to have him. He alerted their dog to a raccoon attack in progress, is an Awesome Boy in all respects, but is still spurless and going on 2 years old this spring! He is great with his little human (though she is a bit afraid of one of the hens, who had a slightly aggressive feeding response to her attempts at hand feeding!)
Go on. Push me out to the fringes of chicken keeping.:rolleyes::lau
It will be I shouldn't even be on the site next, because I'm not a proper backyard chicken keeper.
Can you beleive someone actually said that to me and the person was/is well known.

Tsuki and Deana are having a little moult at the moment.

I came across a white flight feather with an odd looking shaft. I have never seen one like this before. It looks like the end has been dipped in wax.

Tsuki's weird feather with Deana's "normal" feather for comparison.
View attachment 2472269

View attachment 2472267

View attachment 2472268

Has anyone else ever seen a feather like this? Should I be worried?
I think you'll find that's oil. The holes that the feathers grow out of, follicles, produce oil. This is what chickens dust bath to remove.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/why-chickens-bath-in-dust-and-not-in-water.74441/
I don't think you should worry. What you could do is see if you can offer both types of dust bath I mention in the article.

Go on. Push me out to the fringes of chicken keeping.:rolleyes::lau
It will be I shouldn't even be on the site next, because I'm not a proper backyard chicken keeper.
Can you beleive someone actually said that to me and the person was/is well known.
Well, you know none of us here would ever say that! You’re like me, it’s just we both have a MUCH bigger backyard than most people. And a less cuddly approach, like you’re more likely to find on the Meat Bird forum here.

Now I'm on my computer rather than my phone I would have to agree about the feathered feet ~ which I couldn't see on my phone. You'd think with the sort of glasses I have I'd see much better than I do. :idunno Wyandottes are definitely clean legged.
I feel kind of bad like I was meanly correcting everyone and raining on the GLW parade. Unfortunately my personality tends towards knowing and acknowledging the details. It's part of scientific training I guess. For some reason I am exhibiting it in chicken breeds. I can't say why it feels important to me. I am just not satisfied with "pretty chicken".
:oops:

Back
Top Bottom