MJ's little flock

Your breeds seem to be a little different to ours so I can't recommend. You can run different breeds together but you may run into problems while they sort out their differences. Our Wyandottes are wonderful. All 5 I've had have been absolute sweeties if a little prone to broodiness. WhoDat & @BY Bob have had 1 or 2 issues with theirs. They seem a little more dominant than I see here.
I frequently see Edwina with bloody bald spots on her legs where someone has helpfully depilated her leg feathers. šŸ˜  So mine are not so much sorting out their differences as making everybody the same. šŸ™„

I frequently see Edwina with bloody bald spots on her legs where someone has helpfully depilated her leg feathers. šŸ˜  So mine are not so much sorting out their differences as making everybody the same. šŸ™„
Peggy had a go at Ivy's legs too. I'm hoping now Peggy's forgotten her feather plucking ways, Ivy's feet feathers will grow back to former splendour once she has a full moult.

Exactly! You are likely not allowed to sell or provide eggs (or meat) from chickens that have received antibiotics, ever. This would be a food guidelines not a veterinary one. I believe the same is true in the United States. It's "popular science".

So to be more charitable to Dr. Mark, not a hole in his knowledge.

Chicken tax
View attachment 2473010
Yes! If I may jump on the offered soapbox? The thing is in Canada you are permitted to use antibiotics in food animals! You can be charged with cruelty for refusing medical treatment to an animal to avoid a withholding period near processing time, or to maintain Organic or RWA (raised without antibiotics) standards/certification there are some animals in which their use is banned here, pork for one, but bovines, ovines, (for both Dairy and meat) and Poultry can all enter the food stream here after being treated with most antibiotics, once the appropriate withholding period has passed. But just Try to find a Vet that will work with a small farm! Or on Backyard chickens! Iā€™m going to check the mail again on Monday, and if I donā€™t have a package, Iā€™m booking a tele-health appointment for the nasty infection ā€œIā€ have! The swelling seems to be moving further up his leg, but it could just be the rain, please let it be the rain...
EDA6DE23-C040-4C65-99C1-C2630DDE44EF.jpeg

But they aren't known for that! I swear. šŸ˜†

View attachment 2473018

View attachment 2473019

Do either of those descriptions fit Aurora! I can't touch her. Heck she won't let me near her unless she can snag a treat. Now Maleficent fit these descriptions to a T (except for broody). This is just proof that they are individuals and you never know until you meet the chicken.

I am more confused than ever. I looked up the various breeds I am thinking about or already have:
- Wyandotte - 'docile' and 'tend to be high up in the pecking order'
- Legbar - 'There seems to be some disagreement about the temperament of this bird. Some sources say they are flighty, nervous and noisy; whereas others say they are docile, friendly and easily handled.'
- Rhode Island Red - 'tend to be in middle of the pecking order' and 'anything from docile to raucous and pushy'
- ISA brown - 'friendly, sweet and docile nature.' I would just comment that Diana is an ISA brown and is quite aggressive and a bit of a mean girl.
Sooo, I a left not having a clue and wondering if one Wyandotte and one Legbar will maybe be OK if introduced together. Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom