MJ's little flock

Still dropping a few feathers every day.

IMG20210117182727.jpg

Asking the nursery people is always a good idea. ☺👍 Just keep in mind what you want the plants for eg. shade, fruit, flowers, scented foliage or cover.

The herbs my chooks like the most are comfrey and flat leafed or Italian parsley. They both like full sun.

Here are some pics of my set up.

I basically used chicken wire to fence off a long Northern corner of my yard. It is on a gentle slope. There are two "gates", marked by red arrows. Top gate on the left and bottom gate on the right. The big tree to the left of middle is a Bay tree (Laurus nobilis) with a Chinese lantern (Abutilon sp) under planted about 1.5m away. This is where the chooks spend most of their time when confined in the run.
View attachment 2491463

It's a bit hard to see but these are the exposed tangle of roots and layered stems of the Chinese lantern where the girls have been scratching and having dust baths.
View attachment 2491495

Deana for scale
View attachment 2491496

These are the leaves and flowers of the Chinese lantern bush
View attachment 2491474

A close up of a flower
View attachment 2491475

To left side of the run, outside of the chicken wire, I have made a herb bed containing comfrey and wormwood (closest to the wire), parsley, marigold, basil, sage, lavender, nasturtium, yarrow, and other bibs and bobs. It gets full sun for at least 6 hours a day. The girls can pick at things through the wire without digging it up.
View attachment 2491478

Here is my caged blueberry bush (blue arrow) shaded by another, smaller Chinese lantern bush (red arrow). I planted the blueberry as tube stock a couple of years ago and it has really only started shooting up this summer. I wonder if it is because I have been emptying the contents of the chicken coop on it most days? 🤔
View attachment 2491456

I hope this gives you some ideas for your Funrun MJ. Enjoy the journey!

Edit. One of the wormwood bushes growing through the fence.
I think that looks lovely.

Last edited:
She is beautiful! I have always been a cat person. Love their ways.
Happy Sunday, MJ!!!
She's very sweet. I'm a cat and dog person and I hope to keep a pair of dogs once Blossom says her farewells, which I hope is a long way off yet.

Sunday was very restful. How's your Sunday going?

Back
Top Bottom