MJ's little flock

Anyway, I've been sorting through photos these holidays and I've found a few I thought might go down well.

IMG20190425152857.jpg
IMG20190309193304.jpg
IMG20190425152854.jpg

I am going to owe a lot of chicken tax on this one. :lau

The Irish & Britons & Scotti all practised religious rites involving water. So you will find swords, daggers, shields, torcs broken & put in water as sacrifices to their god/esses. Sometimes you will find bodies, like the most famous Lindow Man. As areas dry they become bogs rather than lakes or pools or rivers. I can't give you the exact science but the minerals & salts tan the skin & preserve the bodies.

Lindow Man was probably a human sacrifice: young, well groomed, well fed, healthy [possibly a druid]. The contents of his stomach contained a burnt porridge mix. His hair had been trimmed with scissors. He suffered the 3`fold death [hence why he is considered a sacrifice].

You can look him up on~line & a famous Celtic scholar has written a whole book on what was discovered about him. It is interesting reading if you aren't too squeamish.

I will have to read up on him. That sounds fascinating!

Hold on, hold on. I was all for memorizing the physical characteristics of chicken breeds and was coming along splendidly, and then you all started throwing all sorts of craziness at me - like Leghorns not being white or even necessarily having floppy combs, and now I am breed-skeptic!
To answer the question - in the 18th Century the Scots were amongst the tallest folk in Northern Europe but they have shrunk and are now shorter than the English. On average of course. I assume that is secondary to deprivation, diet etc. but I don't know.
Thanks. I find this post enlightening and helpful.

Back
Top Bottom