MJ's little flock

Sam visited with his father and little sister Lily who's only just walking to give my bucket back and went to look at the chickens in the back yard (when they were having showers the other day, I'd talked to Sam about being quiet and looking at them from a distance) while we were discussing bricks. I'm considering using a particular brick supplier for the reconstruction of the house's front veranda and it turned out they'd used the same one a couple of years ago for their extension, so there was much to discuss. I knew Sam would not be able to touch the hens, even I'm very rarely allowed to do that, so I knew they'd be physically safe, possibly even scare him if he got too close. After a couple of minutes, I heard running and laughter but it didn't cross my mind he'd chase the hens, I assumed the kids were simply playing. 5 minutes later Janet ran to the front of the house to fetch me and we came around to the back yard to find no hens. The kids were starting to cry because they couldn't find the hens. Emotions were already too heightened for any learning to occur and it was only after they'd gone home I put two and two together and realised how frightened the hens were and that he'd been chasing them. Anyway, I've got Sam's lesson all planned out for next time (quiet and gentle, have you ever been chased by someone big and noisy? Etc etc) and I'm hoping a cooperative Janet will allow me to pick her up and hold her while he learns to pet her respectfully. And I've learned how well the hens can hide when they need to!
That all makes sense. Thanks for sharing the full story. I simply could not wrap my mind around a small boy infiltrating your yard and then chasing the hens. It just made no sense!

Family photo (is that Jan back there, yes I think so)

IMG_2021-07-29-16-55-38-005~2.jpg

That all makes sense. Thanks for sharing the full story. I simply could not wrap my mind around a small boy infiltrating your yard and then chasing the hens. It just made no sense!
Good point! I am often a little too concise on byc :lau

Back
Top Bottom